Cloudy Days in the Coop - My Adventures with Chickens.

Yuki:
Yuki is my Ameraucauna, 2 years hold, and bossy head hen. :D She lays green-blue eggs. They are very pretty. Before Jasmine was injured (See Jasmine’s ’profile’ to learn more), Jasmine was head hen, and rightfully so. Yuki fought to be at the top, but it was only when Jasmine was separated from the flock that Yuki became head hen. And she made sure to keep it that way! Yuki really is a nice chicken, and she likes to be held and carried around. She’s very friendly to the other chickens, so long they know her place. If not...she can be vicious. I love her all the same, and Yuki’s very relaxed, making her way through the yard, grabbing a bug here, an herb there. I would say that Yuki’s favorite treat are huckleberry, though she likes just about anything.
9F92706E-E9DC-4DC3-B6C9-743508C93A9C.jpeg

0242C63B-06B8-4A4E-ADAF-02F4235C815C.jpeg

That's an incredible story! I love that they come to your door for their oatmeal! :D What breeds did you end up getting? :)
I have two Black Australorps, Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour; two Speckled Sussexes, Annacleves and Katherine Howard; and two Amberlinks, Katherine Parr and Detroit. Can you tell I was going through a Tudor phase at the time? :D

Mochi:
Mochi is my other Silkie Bantam. I’m pretty sure she’s a splash, but not positive. :D (I really hope she’s a pullet, not a cockerel. No eggs from her yet, but no crowing either...) Anyway, Mochi and Boba are always hanging out together. To be honest, I’ve never seen them apart except when Boba was attacked - and poor Mochi was wandering the yard, calling out for her friend. (Don’t worry, Boba is doing great. :D) Mochi is a little more shy then Boba and doesn't love being held, though she’ll tolerate it. She’s friendly all the same, though. :) Like Boba, Kiki, and Minnie, she’s one of my younger chickens and 7 months old. As you can see, the chick in my profile picture is Mochi only a few days old. 🥰 She sure was adorable back then! (And still it, of course!) I used to carry her for hours, and I would write with her sitting next to me. I find it interesting, that, the chicks I hold the most are always more shy when they're older. Your thoughts? Has this happened to you, too?
Mochi seems to love blackberries - but her face is always such a mess after eating them! She also loves to hang out by my apple tree -if apple tree is what you would call it. It’s very old, gnarly, unpruned, and infested with bugs. I guess Mochi loves the bugs and apples that fall on the ground!
View attachment 2349192
View attachment 2349193
View attachment 2349195
Hey look, Feathered poodles! :love

I haven't noticed that any one of them is Head Hen. Katherine Howard is always off by herself, doing her own thing. In fact, before she looked distinctly different from her sister (Annacleves), we could still tell which of the two she was because the five of them would be together and Katherine Howard would be somewhere else - somewhere over there - doing her own thing. Poor little Detroit (named after a kitten who died who was named after an engine, not the city, but that's another story) is sweet but none too bright. When she was but a pullet, she got stuck in our neighbor's yard and couldn't figure out how to get home. My husband had to rescue her. And these days, she is always chasing after the group saying, Hey wait up, guys! Wait for me!

I'll have to watch them more closely to see who is Head Hen. Yesterday Katherine Howard fluffed out her feathers at Lida Rose, my little furbaby, and Lida Rose ran for cover, but I think that's different. :idunno

I'm loving your stories!

I haven't noticed that any one of them is Head Hen. Katherine Howard is always off by herself, doing her own thing. In fact, before she looked distinctly different from her sister (Annacleves), we could still tell which of the two she was because the five of them would be together and Katherine Howard would be somewhere else - somewhere over there - doing her own thing. Poor little Detroit (named after a kitten who died who was named after an engine, not the city, but that's another story) is sweet but none too bright. When she was but a pullet, she got stuck in our neighbor's yard and couldn't figure out how to get home. My husband had to rescue her. And these days, she is always chasing after the group saying, Hey wait up, guys! Wait for me!

I'll have to watch them more closely to see who is Head Hen. Yesterday Katherine Howard fluffed out her feathers at Lida Rose, my little furbaby, and Lida Rose ran for cover, but I think that's different. :idunno

I'm loving your stories!
That's amazing! I love the stories and their personalities!

Back
Top Bottom