Clubfoot causing lameness/stiffness?

Quote:
The thing is Chickadee they stand like that (also called 'pointing') for ALL SORTS of one-foreleg lamenesses, like navicular or unilateral founder or an abscess in the foot (you've felt for heat and applied hooftesters, yes?) or some types of ringbone or any of a number of things.

And, an upright foot can be a RESULT of lameness, not just a cause of it. For instance a horse with navicular in one forefoot not-uncommonly develops an upright foot with high and contracted heels, because he is standing/walking differently on it because of the pain.

So, really, it is NOT as simple as happy little "diagnose it yourself" websites make it sound.

Honestly I'd have a good VET out, not a farrier, unless you happen to have an unusually brilliant-at-seeing-lamenesses farrier who you've worked with for a long time. Farriers and trimmers tend to just work with what's there (sometimes well, often not so much); what would be really good to know, especially since you are wanting to put this horse into work, is what the actual underlying problem is.

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited:
I've just done some research on Navicular syndrome, and there is a lot of iffiness regarding diagnosis through x-ray, invact it's almost impossible to diagnose with x-rays. I think we'll not jump the gun here and go to the worst case scenario, see what our farrier says, and go from there.

Chick-a-dee, nobody is saying it's navicular. What we're saying is, there are LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF DIFFERENT possibilities. (And navicular syndrome is *not* a worst case scenario.)

To sort out what the problem is takes a good vet (or a VERY VERY RARE non-vet horseman, but they are like hen's teeth), and sometimes x-rays or sometimes not, and sometimes nerve blocks or sometimes not, depending on what the likely suspects are seen to be when the horse is examined.

Really, an amateur cannot just look at the horse and see a short toe and long heel, and the horse standing with less weight on it or with the foot forward, and meaningfully diagnose the problem. As clubfoot or as anything else. Horses are just a whole big lot more complicated than that.

Sorry, but, it's true.

Pat

Last edited:
An Update...

The farrier has come out, Luna has high/low and was trimmed accordingly, also she's hot around the coronet on the affected foot, which could be any number of things but right now we're focusing on it could be an abscess or she has bruised it, we're going to watch her over the weekend, treat her with liniment and cold foot bathes and are having the vet out next week probably to take a look at her.

I understand Pat what you're saying, but it's not good to just jump it and look doom and gloom at the situation. We have a starting point and she'll be seeing the vet, I highly appreciate you're advice, I really do. If you have any ideas on the hotness around her coronet, shoot away. Right now we're monitoring it and trying to get the minor swelling down but she will be seeing the vet asap anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think you do understand.

A *clubfoot* is more gloom-and-doom than some of the other possibilities mentioned (abscess, object in foot, mild navicular from correctable causes, etc)!

It's pretty important not get attached to one particular interpretation until there is REASON to believe it's that rather than any of the many other possibilities.

For instance the first or second thing to do when a horse is lame should ALWAYS be to look for heat in the foot/feet. (Rather than deciding it's clubfoot and thus why would you look for heat). Now that you know there is heat, you know to soak the foot, since statistically speaking an abscess is by far the likeliest cause and with the heat there it is certainly NOT just a simple mechanical clubfoot problem. Do you see what I mean?

Google does not make anyone a competent diagnostician, honest, authoritative-sounding though many sources may be. Horses are just a whole lot more complex than that. Heck, many VETS kind of suck at identifying lamenesses. This is one situation where confidence is a really BAD thing, and often leads to overlooking real problems and bypassing appropriate treatments (in some cases, not necessarily this case, people end up doing exactly the *worst* thing, because of having mis-guessed what the problem is).

Good luck with her,

Pat

I DO understand actually, I couldn't tell if there was heat last night... I did check.. but I guess my hands were too hot and clammy to actually feel any huge difference. I checked again today and the farrier checked and there is definitely heat. Clubfoot really isn't a doom and gloom thing, it's easy to manage and take care of but you are right I shouldn't have dedicated myself to one particular thing, and now we're treating the heat and trying to get to the root cause.

Heat around the coronary band often indicates an absess, however, it is not 100%. If the farrier did not find an entry point for gravel or an absess ready to blow through the sole, the obstruction/debris might be moving up to the coronary band.

I was thinking about an abcess when I was thinking of your horse while getting ready to go to the barn. My 10 yr old had a horrible abcess that the vet opened but then it closed up and abcessed again. He was lame for so long (not saying this is what is going to happen).

Actually, many suggest not to soak too often because it can make the tissue absorb moisture and allows the debris to possibly take all kinds of paths.

My most effective treatment for abcess uses ichthymol, children's diaper and duct tape. Lay open the diaper on the ground near the hoof with the adhesives under the horse. Pick up the hoof and pack the sole with ichthymol avoiding the frog itself - then rub ichthymol around the coronary band avoiding the hair.

Place the hoof down on the diaper - fold the front of the diaper up over the hoof and then bring the back of the diaper up and fix the adhesive to the tab. Repeat on the other side. If you have a Davis boot or Mac boot slip it on or secure the diaper with duct tape. Replace every 48 hours - continuing to put your finger down to the coronary to be sure the heat is not increasing.

Back
Top Bottom