Clueless on the tylan-50 dosage on CHICKS

Borg bird

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2017
Hello,
Firt time writer, long time reader!
My sister is caring ffa broilers. We had these chicks for a week. Bit earlier in the week I noticed a lot of sneezing. I dismissed it assuming it was due to the crumble getting into their nostrils.
Unfortunately, I think I'm wrong. They are sneezing more frequently and some have this horrible congested rattle. It's heart breaking.

We have all 26 of them in pine shavings, heat lamps, Producer's turkey starter crumble, and for the first five days we had them on sugared water. I also like to mention we had sprinkled some spirulina on the food, but recently stopped. I'm not sure where this could come from?
Also, we wipes there bellies with wet wipes bc of all of the poop. Maybe we ended up chilling them. But they are in a warm environment away from draft or the cold.

So, now I'm here asking for tylan-50 dosage for a gallon of water for chicks. I want to nip this in the bud before I see them dropping like flies.
Do you have any other suggestions for treatments? Please, I'd like to know so we don't lose these guys. We honestly feel like we did them wrong and I like to help them feel better.
Thank you.

Welcome to BYC!

Tylan 50 is supposed to be given by injection or orally 3-4 times a day, but if you want to try it in the water, you need about 3000 mg per gallon.

Ok. 60 ml.
I'm always concerned about overdosing, but I bought the 100 ml bottle. I was asking around and I've been hearing people say 4-5 ml in a gallon. You're the first to tell me 60. So Im worried 60ml might be a lot.
So do you know how much orally for a chick?

More info. Wet wipes??? Did they have lots of wet diarrhea? You shouldn't need to be using wet wipes on their bellies. Were their bellies wet with poop before you wiped them? Do they have pasty butt? Are they spilling water in the shavings? Are you keeping the shavings dry? How big is the brooder, what is the temp under the heat lamp and at the opposite end of the brooder? Is there enough of a footprint of appropriate temp warmth under the heat lamp so they can all get to a comfortable heat level without pig piling? They should have a warm footprint of adequate temp for them to get warm but the opposite end should be at ambient room temperature. By 2 - 3 weeks of age, chicks should have 2 s.f./bird.

What is the protein content of the turkey crumble? I'm wondering if it's too high. Spirulina is also high in protein, yes? That may be what's causing their diarrhea.

Ok. 60 ml.
I'm always concerned about overdosing, but I bought the 100 ml bottle. I was asking around and I've been hearing people say 4-5 ml in a gallon. You're the first to tell me 60. So Im worried 60ml might be a lot.
So do you know how much orally for a chick?
Who's saying 4-5 ml? Their math is broken, lol. You can prove this by doing a little math.

The powder dose is 1 teaspoon per gallon, and one teaspoon = ~3000 mg

Elanco says that each chicken must consume enough water to get 50 mg per pound per day.

How much do your chicks weigh?

Back
Top Bottom