Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
However, I don't think it's necessary or helpful to throw exaggerated statements like "sitting outside the fence scratching their heads, etc." All I do is bring chickens vegetables.

But earlier you stated:

especially when you sit close to the chickens for a while and can reach out and touch them through the fence wooden slots.

So, pardon me for assuming you "scratching their heads" rather than "touch them through the fence" - a bit of semantics, really.

Also, I believe things happen for a reason.

So, the fact that many varied people have responded to your long winded posts, and spent their time responding to you based on their experiences happened for a reason. You should take all the varied thoughts and assess them with a level head, which I cannot assume has occurred. In particular, you might want to re-read @centrarchid posts, as they mentioned they have worked with education institutions (like the Golden Coop is an education place) that use animals. There is a BYC function to send PMs to members too, which may be better for all involved as you can PM a member about specifics relating to this situation (of which we only have your side).

But earlier you stated:
So, pardon me for assuming you "scratching their heads" rather than "touch them through the fence" - a bit of semantics, really.

By this I meant that I managed once to pick up the bird who seemed very bony, when I did pick her up - for 2-3 seconds, it felt like she weighed nothing, bones and skin (I picked her up to verify what my eyes saw). I'll try to be more specific when I write, so not to confuse anyone, sorry.
The truth remains - I do not/did not/will not try to touch those birds for no reason, because of danger to transfer something unwanted to them or my chickens, knowing that those hens don't receive much of vet's help.
Still please know that I do appreciate your viewpoint, and value your time giving the advice.

Last edited:
By this I meant that I managed once to pick up the bird who seemed very bony, when I did pick her up - for 2-3 seconds, it felt like she weighed nothing, bones and skin (I picked her up to verify what my eyes saw). I'll try to be more specific when I write, so not to confuse anyone, sorry.
The truth remains - I do not/did not/will not try to touch those birds for no reason, because of danger to transfer something unwanted to them or my chickens, knowing that those hens don't receive much of vet's help.
Still please know that I do appreciate your viewpoint, and value your time giving the advice.
You don't have to touch the chickens to spread something to them. This is why quarantine areas tend to be as far away as possible from an existing owner's flock-- pathogens may well be airborne, could be carried on the food you bring, these fleas you have treated in your own chickens (fleas, really, yikes!) Can and will jump, things get carried in on shoes. Simply refraining from touching them, does nothing in a biosecurity sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom