Cocci treatment doesn't have to mean no eggs! UPDATED

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
Our BR stopped laying a couple of weeks ago after having laid for just 2 weeks. I've realized that she has cocci, since she has blood in her poop. The last few days she has seemed listless and been haning out with our loner banty cochin. I think that she has lost her spot in the pecking order, too.
sad.png

So, today I went to get some Sulmet to treat her. We'll start all 4 girls on it tomorrow. That means we can't eat the eggs for the duration of the treatment, plus 10 more days!!
hit.gif

I just gave friends a dozen eggs yesterday, too. What a bummer!!!

---------

UPDATED at the bottom of page 1.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. Hopefully the time will fly by for you and all your girls will get well. Winter is not fun - I haven't had eggs in 2 months, but I'm looking forward to basket fulls come spring.
big_smile.png

Sorry. My girls have really gotten stingy with the eggs the last two weeks. And we sold all we had so I can't even fry me an egg sandwich.

Hope yours are feelin better soon!

DBF and I decided to isolate her & her banty friend during the days (no water in their coop) so that we don't have to treat the 2 who aren't sick and who are laying. We'll treat those 2 when they molt, possibly this spring?

YAY!

I went through that with Jacki-O, I was told to treat all my chickens (put it in the water for all). I believe that it was the avian vet that told me to do this. I put her in a cozy little crate in the coop until she got better and she liked that (with her own food and water), because when I tried to take her out, she cried miserably.

Back
Top Bottom