Cocci?

aashneww

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2023
Hi! I have a 11 week old silkie that is pooping blood. I’m pretty sure it’s cocci for the obvious reasons, but wanting to make sure I’m treating correctly.

She’s acting totally normal,not puffed up or hiding, she’s scratching around with everyone else. I just found some in the coop this morning, started the whole flock on 2tsp per gallon of corid in their water and gave her a few drops just on her own on top of the water treatment.

Am I too late to save her since there is blood in her poop or is the fact that she’s acting normal and now I’m actively treating for it, better odds for a good outcome? Anything extra I should be doing?

I attached a picture of the most recent poop, she was sitting on a ramp and I wiped it with a paper towel.

Attachments

• CEB7F2E2-F116-46B0-8C83-60FDF471E8B3.jpeg
    CEB7F2E2-F116-46B0-8C83-60FDF471E8B3.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 97
You did the correct thing, starting treatment. Depending on the strain it may take a day or two to stop seeing the blood in droppings. Treat for the entire 5-7 days, even if they look better before that, make sure the medicated water is the only water they have access to. That they are acting normally is good. Make sure they continue to eat and drink, they have to take in the medicated water for it to work. You can give an oral dose in addition to the medicated water for up to three days, dosing is by body weight, instructions here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
I would give that to any that you know are passing droppings like that, or are showing any symptoms or are not drinking well. Corid is pretty safe, no worries of overdosing.

You did the correct thing, starting treatment. Depending on the strain it may take a day or two to stop seeing the blood in droppings. Treat for the entire 5-7 days, even if they look better before that, make sure the medicated water is the only water they have access to. That they are acting normally is good. Make sure they continue to eat and drink, they have to take in the medicated water for it to work. You can give an oral dose in addition to the medicated water for up to three days, dosing is by body weight, instructions here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
I would give that to any that you know are passing droppings like that, or are showing any symptoms or are not drinking well. Corid is pretty safe, no worries of overdosing.
Awesome, thank you so much for all the info. I’m giving her soaked feed and she’s eating a lot. So hopefully I caught it in time. I’ll keep giving her individual doses to make sure she’s getting the medicine. Thank you!

It's a common error, when I first got chickens and learned about coccidiosis, I did the same thing! But we try to correct it as they are two very different things, so don't want to confuse treatments or have people misunderstand. Unfortunately, even the internet is not helpful in that, if you type in cocci, innumerable coccidiosis sites come up. So it just adds to the confusion. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom