Just a friendly reminder on coccidiosis vs cocci

treslilbirds

Songster
Mar 13, 2017
North Mississippi
:caf I often see users refer to coccidiosis in chickens on the site and usually the terms "coccidiosis", "coccidia", and "cocci" are used as if they are one in the same. But they are actually two different organisms. I worked at a veterinary hospital for 10 years and have seen both.

So coccidia are a single celled parasite that normally infect the intestinal tract. I saw it a lot in kittens and puppies, only maybe 2 cases of an adult dog with it. We treated it with oral Albon suspension. This is what coccidia looks like under a microscope. Coccidiosis is a coccidia infection.
IMG_2388.JPG

Ok, now for cocci. Cocci is a round, spherical shaped bacteria that's common in most animals, but sometimes they have an overgrowth which leads to issues. I saw it a lot in dogs and cats with ear infections, skin infections, and even in poop smears of diarrhea. Yes a poop smear is just what it sounds like. Smear some poop on a glass slide, heat fix it, stain it, look at said poop.
You treat an overgrowth of cocci differently than coccidia because they are two different organisms. Cocci is a bacteria. In GI infections we usually treated with Reglan to regulate gut motility and probiotics to regulate the growth of bad bacteria. After that and a week of eating a bland diet, most dogs (and cats) were back to normal. This is what cocci looks like under a microscope. This is actually a picture of staphylococcus, a type of cocci bacteria.
IMG_2389.JPG

I hope this was helpful. I often see people talking about cocci and coccidiosis as if they are one in the same. I was thinking it would be bad if someone were trying to treat for coccidiosis perhaps, and use a treatment for cocci, not knowing they were two different things.

:thumbsup Treslilbirds

One more:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

I am pretty sure that the Cocci dogs get is different then the kind chickens get.

There are actually a few different kinds of coccidia. We had a case where a dog was infected and the usual Albon treatment wasn't working. We ended up sending a poop sample to the lab for a better analysis and it ended up being a species carried by raccoons that required a different medication. I can't remember what we used but it was an interesting case!
But a coccidia is still just a coccidia. There are different subspecies that infect different animals yes. But coccidia is still a different organism than cocci. Cocci is just a class of bacteria. Coccidia are a type of protozoa. I think it's just confusing to some because the first 5 letters are the same.

But coming from someone who's seen both, trust me, they're two different things. :)

So @treslilbirds, if I have a microscope at home and got chicken poop and put it on a slide....guess I have to smear, dry and stain it....would I be able to see cocci myself?
Short answer yes...
There are people here on BYC that test their own poop.

Sooooo, if I gave my entire flock Corid, would it hurt anybody? I'm thinking of all but 25 of them....they are still young ones and are not in with the big flock.
I never give anything unless they are showing symptoms.
But Corid is safe enough to use "just in case".

Back
Top Bottom