coccid questions

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
Yesterday when scooping up all the chicken poops like i do every day, I saw this( first picture) , and noticed one of my two hens was acting a little off. She was just sitting on the ground but I don’t think I’ve ever seen her just sit there like that.
Today my calendar says is their second dose of safeguard dewormer. I wanted to make sure it’s OK to start Corid and still give the safe guard. Apparently it is OK. So i gave the safeguard dose , and now I have my two hens on Corid, locked in a run, separated from all my ducks. there were two more poops with red in them from the hens this morning; pictures two and three. i guess it’s coccid? is there anything else that would cause the red ( i guess it’s blood?idk)
my other question is about my 13ducks who normally share the yard with the two chickens. They are all acting perfectly fine. All of their poops look great. What are the chances that they would have coccid too? no symptoms at all… so i really don’t want to treat them. I found conflicting evidence on the Internet some say, ducks and chickens do not pass it to each other, some say they do. ???

Attachments

• FE9DCA21-DD2F-45AC-8325-F55F9860A6D3.jpeg
    FE9DCA21-DD2F-45AC-8325-F55F9860A6D3.jpeg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 8F6367AD-E2B1-4260-8DF7-986A34C06274.jpeg
    8F6367AD-E2B1-4260-8DF7-986A34C06274.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 401DF666-CEC7-4257-86F6-6FB1AC4ACCDD.jpeg
    401DF666-CEC7-4257-86F6-6FB1AC4ACCDD.jpeg
    922 KB · Views: 13
That doesn't really look like coccidosis to me. Coccidosis stools are VERY bloodly, that just looks like shed intestinal lining. There is no harm in dosing them with corid but I wouldn't be too stressed about coccidosis. If you do treat them, treat the whole flock. No reason to just treat a few birds.

That doesn't really look like coccidosis to me. Coccidosis stools are VERY bloodly, that just looks like shed intestinal lining. There is no harm in dosing them with corid but I wouldn't be too stressed about coccidosis. If you do treat them, treat the whole flock. No reason to just treat a few birds.
ok thank you. the two hens are my whole flock of chickens, I only have the two chickens. but I have 13 ducks who share the yard, but have their own coop. In order to treat ducks, I would have to take away their swimming pools for the five days because they do drink out of them a lot, and I don’t want to do that unless I really have to ,, if I was really sure they are sick and needed the medicine. One of my blue runner ducks has a leg injury and swimming is helping her heal so I’d hate to take away their pools right now. plus they’d be mad at me🤪🤪🤪

Here's the deal about coccidia. It is a parasite, who's eggs are present in the soil everywhere. Different areas have different strains, but pretty much the same. An over abundance in a birds system is what causes coccidiosis. You can't get rid of it, your chickens, and other poultry need to develop a resistance to it. Here's where Corid, or Amprolium, comes in. It suppresses the B vitamins that the coccidia need to survive, to reduce the load long enough to allow the chicken's system to learn to deal with it. That,s all it does, so it is safe to use any time, and with worming medication. In your pictures, to me, two look like blood, and one like intestinal lining. It could be either, or both. To be safe if it were me, I would go ahead and treat as if it is coccidiosis, as it can't hurt. You do not need to treat your ducks, unless they develop symptoms. They likely have a good resistance already

Tell us what you are feeding your flock
Free choice :

Nutrena All Flock Pellets with some Bragg Nutritional yeast mixed in. Oyster shell flakes.
Grit

@dinner time:

Mazuri Waterfowl maintenance (in buckets of water)

@Twice a week:
Romaine Lettuce, OR Kale, OR peas, OR mealworms, OR watermelon, OR cucumbers

Their yard is 3000 square feet so they find bugs to eat too

Back
Top Bottom