Coccidia is killing my flock one by one- tried everything

There is only one other thing I can think of-back in August my rooster got avian pox, the dry form. So did one of my babies. The baby had one pock, and I took several to the vet that day, to get them vaccinated. The vet used the same "prong" on all of them, and one of the hens in that batch was sick, but we did not know what was wrong with her. So far, all of the chickens that have died have been from that coop. The rooster did not get the vacccination, since he was pretty far along in his illness at that point. I wonder if the sick hen had coccidia in her blood, and the rest got it that way, which would make it very difficult to fight off.

I would almost bet you have mareks. It will kill the immune system and cocci and ecoli will run rampant.

You need to call the lab and have them get on your histopathology samples so you can get an answer.

pips&peeps :

I would almost bet you have mareks. It will kill the immune system and cocci and ecoli will run rampant.

You need to call the lab and have them get on your histopathology samples so you can get an answer.

Three of the chickens that died were 2-3 yrs old. My sick hen is 2 yrs old. And the baby that died yesterday was hatched on 6/29/10. Aren't they too old for Mareks ?​

Quote:
Where do you get this 'Baycox Piglet' ? And how much does it cost average? Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Three of the chickens that died were 2-3 yrs old. My sick hen is 2 yrs old. And the baby that died yesterday was hatched on 6/29/10. Aren't they too old for Mareks ?

Yes they are generally, but Cocci should not affect an adult that way either. They usually build an immunity to it (well they all carry it but it usually doesn't hurt an adult?)
hmm.png

All chickens get cocci if they touch the soil and live their entire lives with it but keep it in check if they have a good immune system. As young chicks they have to form immunity to it before they become overwhelmed by it (that's when you'd lose your chicks from it) which is why many folks choose medicated chick starter to reduce the number of cocci they have to deal with--not eliminate it--so they can form that immunity.

There are also many types of cocci and healthy chickens form an immunity to each as they come in contact with it. The problem you seem to be dealing with is seen if another problem arises that really challenges and/or destroys their immune system unfortunately, also allows the cocci to gain a foothold again and rise in numbers that can overwhelm the bird and the bird cannot fight off both diseases.

I would recommend anything that can boost the immunity of the birds such as high quality feed, some organic ACV in their water, vitamins and elctrolyes and have get those autopsy results to see what you are dealing with.

I have no magic bullet, just a possible explanation of what may be going on. I am rooting for you.

Tumeric will help boost the immune system. You can get large jars on the internet for livestock, and it is pretty cheap.

Best of luck and I hope you get the reports back soon.

Quote:
My vet did the necropsy on the first chicken that died, my rooster. She sent tissues to the state lab. Results-they found nothing. I sent my two hens that died to the state in October, the vet said they were poultry experts, and that it would be the better way to go. THOSE REPORTS ARE STILL PENDING !! They are short staffed, and their work is backed up. So far they have found coccidia and crypto. The exotic stuff is what is pending (Newcastle, etc). A stool sample from yesterday's bird, that was his last defecation showed overwhelming coccidia present. My mother took my sick hen to a different vet a week ago, who found the same thing, he said it was "overflowing" with coccidia. The hen also *does* have e coli, the culture came back yesterday before I found my baby in distress. It is like their immune system has gone to hell. I just don't understand this.

I THINK I READ ON THIS FORUM THAT CAYEENE PEPPER BOOSTS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM...USE SOME HUMAN ACIDOPHILUS CAPSULES...OPEN UP AND SPRINKLE ON FOOD...THERE IS A MAN AT FIRST STATE VET, PETER BROWN THAT WILL ANSWER YOUR E-MAIL AND CAN PROBABLY TELL YOU THE RIGHT MED TO USE TO REDUCE THE COCCIDOSIS. THERE ARE OTHER MEDS OTHER THAN THE CORRID FOR THIS.

Back
Top Bottom