Coccidia or intestinal lining

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
I have 10 chicks that are 3.5 weeks old. They'll be 1 month old on the 20th. They are all vaccinated for coccidiosis, and we're on medicated starter for just over a week. Since then they've been eating all flock. This morning I noticed quite a few poops with blood in them. Do you think it's coccidiosis or intestinal lining? If so what should I do? I've never had a chicken with coccidiosis.

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_070931.jpg
    IMG_20220715_070931.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20220715_070939.jpg
    IMG_20220715_070939.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220715_071036.jpg
    IMG_20220715_071036.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 35
They're much too young for All Flock. They should still be on starter grower,
Why are you feeding them medicated feed, if you had them vaccinated?
I wasn't the one that bought the feed. I would've picked non medicated. Also, I think the store only had medicated. I looked at a lot of different websites and forums on BYC and everything I read said that all flock was fine, but you might need to crush it up a little more for them.

I think medicated feed is fine because the vaccine isn't guaranteed against all strains. Someone more experienced might have more info but the medicated feed just inhibits an overgrowth of the parasite by providing a lose dose of amprolium in the feed. I haven't looked into feeding all flock at that age but if the protein levels are comparable it might be ok. I wonder about other nutrients at that age though? Anyway have they been outside this whole time or has their living situation changed recently? How are they acting?

I think medicated feed is fine because the vaccine isn't guaranteed against all strains. Someone more experienced might have more info but the medicated feed just inhibits an overgrowth of the parasite by providing a lose dose of amprolium in the feed. I haven't looked into feeding all flock at that age but if the protein levels are comparable it might be ok. I wonder about other nutrients at that age though? Anyway have they been outside this whole time or has their living situation changed recently? How are they acting?
The protein level is exactly the same. Yes they have been outside since they were about 2 weeks old. They have a heat pad to sleep on at night. They all seem happy. They are eating and drinking a lot. They have a ton of energy. 2 of them are a little slower/lazier, but they've been like that since the day we got them. They do get excited about food though.

I have 4 other chicks who have been outside since they were a few days old. My peahen has been taking really good care of them. Those came with these ones too, but I didn't want to overwhelm our peahen with 14 babies, especially when she only laid 4 eggs. Those chicks are doing fine and I haven't seen any red in their poop.

They can have cocci and no blood in their poop too. I would put then back on medicated to be safe but keep an eye on their poop and if this continues or they get lazy or seem like they're not gaining weight I would give them a course of amprolium in their water for a couple weeks

They can have cocci and no blood in their poop too. I would put then back on medicated to be safe but keep an eye on their poop and if this continues or they get lazy or seem like they're not gaining weight I would give them a course of amprolium in their water for a couple weeks
Thank you. I think we're going to get corid today so that at least we'll have it on hand. We're also going to clean everything really well. Would the liquid or powder be better?

Cleaning everything isnt necessary since the parasite lives in the soil. All soil has it so anytime chickens are moved from a brooder to outside or from one location outside to another its possible they can get an overgrowth. Its always present in their gut so I wouldn't go to too much trouble just get the corid in case and get them back on medicated starter. They need to build up resistance to it. We only have powder available where I am and I think it loses efficacy the longer its mixed in solution or open so I buy powder and mix it fresh 1.5 tsp per gallon of water daily

Back
Top Bottom