Coccidia treatment chicks and adults. Ducks, large fowl, bantams etc... Help and advice please. :)

Getting ready to dose the 1 month olds. They have a 1 liter drinker. So if I did the math right that is a 1/4 teaspoon/ day. Does that sound right? I don't want to overdose them.
also once the five day treatment is done, do I give five off and repeat, of am I done, after the five days? I want to get them on vitamins after they are treated.

Last edited:
Getting ready to dose the 1 month olds. They have a 1 liter drinker. So if I did the math right that is a 1/4 teaspoon/ day. Does that sound right? I don't want to overdose them.
also once the five day treatment is done, do I give five off and repeat, of am I done, after the five days? I want to get them on vitamins after they are treated.
No it would be 1/2 tsp of liquid Corid per liter or quart of water. You should give them 5 days of Corid, then vitamins probiotics for 3 days, and wait 3 weeks after Corid is finished if you want to do a prevention treatment which is 1/3 the dose. There are many different ways to do prevention and to treat recurrence. Different people have different regimens they follow. Some use a preventative treatment every 3 weeks until a certain age, some only treat if there are symptoms with the higher dose, and some use the medicated feed to help establish some immunity. But medicated feed doesn't always prevent an outbreak. Here is a link with dosage amounts: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Last edited:
Thanks! I gave them 1/4 in the 1 months olds water today already, I wasn't sure I would get a response, and I've been super busy today, so I went ahead and gave them some.. I'll put a half in tomorrow. No bloody stool or symptoms in the brooder, but I don't want there to be either, so I think it's best to treat. Should I only do 1/4 in the 4 day old's liter waterer? They are really little guys.

I wouldn't treat the youngest chicks until they get on dirt or with the older ones. The dosage stays the same no matter the age or size of the chicken--it is calculated on how much each chicken will drink, thus small chickens will drink less and get less medicine.

I wouldn't treat the youngest chicks until they get on dirt or with the older ones. The dosage stays the same no matter the age or size of the chicken--it is calculated on how much each chicken will drink, thus small chickens will drink less and get less medicine.
Okay that makes sense. . I was just concerned that I have touched the littlest ones after going to the barn, before I suspected coccid. I just got done cleaning out the barn. Will we have to bleach everything? Or will the coccidia die out once everything is dry and the animals are treated? It would be a huge job. We have a big barn! LOL

Back
Top Bottom