Coccidia - What to Expect

minus10gmt

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Big Island, Hawaii
I moved my 8 wk old pullets to the “big coop” after moving the last of the old flock out. Did a thorough cleaning but the weather has been damp and rainy. Seems like within a couple of days about half of them (6 or 7 of the 14) were fluffed up, lethargic and not eating, but drinking water still. I figured coccidiosis since no respiratory or pox symptoms and started everyone on Corid immediately. This is day 3 and all but one have now regained appetite and appearing more normal.

The one that isn’t doing well has been isolated with a friend to keep her company. She remains listless, I am dropper-feeding her water with Corid several times a day. If I place her by the soaked feed, she stays there and every now and then wakes, shakes her head and takes a few bites and closes her eyes again.

Is this “normal” or should I check for something else, or do something else? There is no blood but definitely diarrhea. Is she recovering more slowly than the others for some other reason? I am also massaging her crop gently now and then in case it’s sour.

Do not massage the crop if it is soft and puffy. That could cause her to vomit up crop contents and aspirate or choke. The crop may be puffy and slow, just because of the coccidiosis. Sick chicks with coccidiosis do not feel like eating. If you have the liquid Corid, can you give her 2-3 drops orally twice a day for a few days? That may jumpstart her since she might not be drinking enough of the medicated water. Are you mixing it at the maximum strength of 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water? I would give it for 7 days. You could then reduce the dosage to 1/3 for an additional 5 days after that. She might have a worse case than the others, and might have some intestinal damage. Are you seeing any blood in poops? Hoepfully, she will start to improve soon.

No blood in poop. Thank you for telling me about the crop. Will leave it be. I am using the 2 teaspoons per gallon and neglected to mention I gave her 2 drops of liquid Corid yesterday.

Appreciate the advice. She is the smallest of my Cuckoo Marans and seems to have the worst case. I’ll keep her on for 7 days. If it won’t hurt I’ll keep the whole flock on it for 7 days, then intro some vitamins and probiotics once done.

Is grit important if she is barely eating? Not sure how I’d add that for her now.

They do not need grit if only eating chick feed and no grass, bugs, or other foods. Grit should only be available in a separate container to take if they want it, never mixed in food. Sounds like a plan.

Grit should only be available in a separate container to take if they want it, never mixed in food.

I’m constantly learning here! I did not know this. I read “somewhere” that adding a little grit to their food was a good idea. Thank you again!

They are no longer on chick starter, they’ve just transitioned to Grower.

@Eggcessive I have good news! She made it! This morning eating and drinking and, well, behaving like a chicken! Still a little tired but that’s understandable. I attribute it to three things. 1) the extra drops of Corid, 2) the nearly hourly efforts at keeping her hydrated, and 3) giving her a companion while she was sick.

I’m SO relieved!

Back
Top Bottom