Coccidios Not Responding to Corid or Sulmet

So you recommend not "lyeing" to your birds.

I make no effort to erradicate cocci in soil, in part because it is impractical for me. Rather I have simply been making so introduction of birds to cocci is gradual. This requires control of cocci in brooder by keeping brooder relatively clean which flies may be making unusually difficult and using effective coccidiostat like Sulmet or Corid only as needed. I have overdosed as well and lot a couple owing to improper mixing of stock solution. For me, brooder reared birds only have problems and hen reared free-range chicks seem to have little trouble with cocci unless condtitions unusually wet.
Lol! Only sometimes.....

I know that most of the efforts to clean up the soil are more 'busy work' than anything else. It does cut back on the worm population though, I have so many of them here and they can spread cocci for sure. If nothing else, I'm keeping the ground sweet and aerated and if I ever decide to get away from chickens, I am going to have some nice areas for gardens.

Oh and something I found out yesterday. I spoke with the field Vet for Merial, the company that makes Corid and was told that it was highly unlikely that the birds were overdosed or that the cocci could have built up resistance especialy since I ended with the Sulmet. Since I didn't use anything for my birds last year except the medicated food and they didn't get into their house until they were 4 months old, the oocytes shouldn't be anything but normal unless there has been a strain brought in by wild birds. Very possible, I used to feed the birds all year. Now it's just from Fall to Spring when they can find food. And their feeders are no where near the chicken house or where they normaly forage.

no worries :) I have been going through some challenges myself, and I TOTALLY get the stress. I am glad it looks like you have figured out the source...this summer has been pretty brutal to a lot of chicken peeps.

no worries :) I have been going through some challenges myself, and I TOTALLY get the stress. I am glad it looks like you have figured out the source...this summer has been pretty brutal to a lot of chicken peeps.
Oh truth to that! I hate to say this but I am looking forward to the cold. At least it will knock some of this stuff back. Sorry to hear about the troubles you have been having. Between the heat and rain, it's a wonder any of us have any birds left. I hope the cooler weather helps you out as well.

You never said how old these birds are. It's not all that usual that adults get coccidiosis and it's not all that usual that a chick needs worming, either. I've never wormed a chick in my life nor had an adult bird with cocci.

You also never said if the vet tested for Mareks. Sounds like he/she doesn't know what he's talking about.

Hi Speckledhen, for the record i experienced a 10 week old chick that showed paralysis and it was cocci (poop tested), it reversed within two days of the corid treatment (i treated 5 days). She fully recovered. On this, the necropsy report stated clearly there was no sign of Marek's.

Haunted 55, after reading the necropsy report, is it possible you overdosed the medications? Corid in powder doses differently than liquid etc? Or could it be that the meds were out of date? And i agreed with the others i would change the feed brand and supplement with vitamins.

If the necropsy ruled out marek's, plus the sheer number of deaths also suggests something different, i think you might at least be able to rest your mind on that! Not a bad thing?

PO means by mouth. Sorry, it's a medical term.

If I could get Blueseal down here in Florida, I would buy it. I got my first horse at the age of 17 and from then on it was Blueseal for the next 20 years!

This summer I had a cluster of deaths/illnesses in my 3-4 month olds. They were all vaccinated for Marek's. But with the rainy season , most had coccidiosis and died with no symptoms. A few others got some other infection. The Marek's does weaken their immune symptom and that's what happened.

It sounds like your flock has opportunistic bacteria/fungus/cocci. Possibly because of a weakened immune system. The weakened immune system caused by some underlying issue, whether Marek's or not.

My God..now I am overwhelmed! I lost my lovable 3 month old Roo Toby a few months ago to a 2nd cocci infection. Vet treated the first and he was doing great. then within a week he was dead. The 2nd cocci attack went fast!! symtptoms showed, back to vet that day and on medication then by next morning he went thru paralysis and died in my arms at 1:07 am!! I now keep coloidal silver on hand should cocci show up in another of my silkies. I hope winter sends some freezing temps to Ca!

Silky Ma...thank you for sharing this. People need to know that there is a strain of Coccidia that is causing paralysis and death even after treatment.

My God..now I am overwhelmed! I lost my lovable 3 month old Roo Toby a few months ago to a 2nd cocci infection. Vet treated the first and he was doing great. then within a week he was dead. The 2nd cocci attack went fast!! symtptoms showed, back to vet that day and on medication then by next morning he went thru paralysis and died in my arms at 1:07 am!! I now keep coloidal silver on hand should cocci show up in another of my silkies. I hope winter sends some freezing temps to Ca!

I read somewhere that when treating for cocci, sometimes it can be a good idea to prolong the treatment past 5 days at half dose (the "prevention dose" instructions on the corid bottle) for an extra 10 days or so, because sometimes 5 days is just not enough. I actually did that in my case. I did forget where i read it, but i am guessing it was on this website!

Corrid or amprolium I read can cause Vit B difficiency isn't it a thiamine blocker? I was wondering if multiple treatments could be causing vit def paralysis?

Hi Speckledhen, for the record i experienced a 10 week old chick that showed paralysis and it was cocci (poop tested), it reversed within two days of the corid treatment (i treated 5 days). She fully recovered. On this, the necropsy report stated clearly there was no sign of Marek's.

Haunted 55, after reading the necropsy report, is it possible you overdosed the medications? Corid in powder doses differently than liquid etc? Or could it be that the meds were out of date? And i agreed with the others i would change the feed brand and supplement with vitamins.

If the necropsy ruled out marek's, plus the sheer number of deaths also suggests something different, i think you might at least be able to rest your mind on that! Not a bad thing?
Actually, the report did not rule out Marek's. I've spoken with 3 Vets since getting the report and they have found some problems with the findings and the end diagnosis. So I really think all that I got from this were muddier waters.

I tried the vitamins as well for weeks. The paralysis didn't go away and in fact progressed. The meds weren't given in anyway to suggest overdose. This reply from a Vet at the company that sells the Corid. I never guessed at the amount going into the water and the 9.6% dosing is about the same as medicated feed would be.

Back
Top Bottom