Coccidiosis in quail?

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
Okay wise quail folks…can Coturnix get coccidiosis? I’m assuming yes? Is there something else that causes bloody poo? I found one tonight and I’m assuming that’s what it is? First time I’ve seen bloody poop. TIA!

If it's one "bloody" poop, it might just be a cecal poop. Every now and then they shed some of the linings from their innards.

They can get coccidiosis, however.

There are many different strains of coccidiums. There are about 3 to 4 which affect quail, Eimeria lettyae, E dispersa, and E coloni.
Amprolium or corid have little effect upon these strains. A better treatment is with Monensin or salinomycin they are the approved drugs for quail, and lasalocid and sulfadimethoxine are also used for treatment of coccidiosis in gamebirds.

There are many different strains of coccidiums. There are about 3 to 4 which affect quail, Eimeria lettyae, E dispersa, and E coloni.
Amprolium or corid have little effect upon these strains. A better treatment is with Monensin or salinomycin they are the approved drugs for quail, and lasalocid and sulfadimethoxine are also used for treatment of coccidiosis in gamebirds.
Thanks, I will see if I can find some of that. I have a growing medicine cabinet for all the bird ailments I’ve encountered. Birds are a lot of work to keep healthy 🤪

Thanks, I will see if I can find some of that. I have a growing medicine cabinet for all the bird ailments I’ve encountered. Birds are a lot of work to keep healthy 🤪
After raising birds of all kinds for the last 50+ years, this (gif) is so true! :lol: lots of work and money! Two things can not be stressed enough.....biosecurity and sanitation.
83401994_2497303593814639_4868322254372470784_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom