Coccidiosis or no? Poo pics included

Update: I find updates so helpful- the two chicks never showed signs of sickness, but our turkey got sick. Her symptoms were: lethargy, closing eyes while standing up, not alert or curious, refused to eat but was drinking excessively, diarrhea (a few yellow but mostly green), lots of panting (noticed she does do this though when she lays down), felt very hot to the touch, and lots of sleeping.

We treated the chicks with Corid in their water for 3 days. They never had more bloody poop.

We decided our turkey's symptoms seemed more like blackhead. She is 15.5 lbs. We treated her with Corid for 3 days (1 ml in morning and 1 ml in evening). We gave her metronidazole (currently on day 5 of 5-day treatment) (1/2 tsp of powder in water via tube and syringe 1 time a day), and Baytril for secondary infection- currently on day 5 of 5-day treatment (1.06ml two times per day). We also treated her with Safeguard (.23 ml per pound). She still needs her 2nd dose (10 days after first).

On the second day of treatment she greatly improved and began eating. Over the past 4 days she has each day got firmer poops and she is not sleepy and she is her old self with energy both eating and drinking. Her poops still have a greenish tinge but getting better by the day.

We still need to deworm the chicks and sterilize their coop before reintroducing the turkey. The turkey has been inside this whole time recieving our constant care (she is very active and into everything if we don't watch her). We might buy an intermediate cage/coop so we can put her back outside in two days before she re-enters the coop.

I have heard from some that even though blackhead is caused by a protozoa carried by the cecal worm, that turkeys can develop an immunity (somehow?), and often after treatment with metronidazole won't get blackhead again. Hope this is true. We will regularly worm the flock and keep keeping things as clean as possible. I think I will try adding cayenne to food, but have heard this does not prevent blackhead, but others say it works. Hope this info helps others.

Progression of poop pics
Thank you for the update, very much appreciated!
Yes, very helpful and informative.

I'm glad Turkey is improving, this is wonderful news!

Update: Turkey finished meds yesterday (other than 2nd dose of safeguard). She has kept her weight at 15.5 lbs and she continues to eat/drink normally (as she did after starting meds). She is very active and alert and her normal self. Her poops are not 100% normal yet, every second or third one is still watery, BUT we have been seeing nice, firm, non-green poops, which is great (never thought poop would make me so happy haha). She has been on quarantine in our house for the past 6 days. It has been a lot of work because she is so curious and into everything. We have her in our living room fenced within one area of the room, and I have had to work from home all week and constantly watch her. I finally succumbed to letting her sit on the lazy boy (after putting a drop cloth down). She really loves sitting on the foot rest.

She will be transitioning back outside tomorrow. I bought a wire coop thing off Amazon to temporarily put her in until be can treat the chicks with safeguard (i have heard it takes effect within 2-6 hrs...not sure if this is true) and clean their coop out very well. Fingers crossed she never gets this again, but I will update if anything else happens.

Attachments

• 20230621_090208.jpg
    20230621_090208.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230621_134413.jpg
    20230621_134413.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230622_074212.jpg
    20230622_074212.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230621_082459.jpg
    20230621_082459.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 2
Thank you so much for your reply! @casportpony is amazing. She drove an hour to my house to help me learn how to administer the medication and fluids. I am so grateful. I am treating her for blackhead and will still continue to give her the Corid. I really hope she gets better. She is my little baby.
Please please tell my you hugged Kathy!? Please say yes.

Update: Turkey finished meds yesterday (other than 2nd dose of safeguard). She has kept her weight at 15.5 lbs and she continues to eat/drink normally (as she did after starting meds). She is very active and alert and her normal self. Her poops are not 100% normal yet, every second or third one is still watery, BUT we have been seeing nice, firm, non-green poops, which is great (never thought poop would make me so happy haha). She has been on quarantine in our house for the past 6 days. It has been a lot of work because she is so curious and into everything. We have her in our living room fenced within one area of the room, and I have had to work from home all week and constantly watch her. I finally succumbed to letting her sit on the lazy boy (after putting a drop cloth down). She really loves sitting on the foot rest.

She will be transitioning back outside tomorrow. I bought a wire coop thing off Amazon to temporarily put her in until be can treat the chicks with safeguard (i have heard it takes effect within 2-6 hrs...not sure if this is true) and clean their coop out very well. Fingers crossed she never gets this again, but I will update if anything else happens.
Turkey looks very content in the Lazy Boy ❤️
She may not want to go back outside!

Huge improvement in the poop too. I'm glad she's doing better day by day.

As for if the Safeguard takes effect on Cecal worms within 2-6 hrs, I don't know. We can ask @dawg53 he may know the answer.

Turkey looks very content in the Lazy Boy ❤️
She may not want to go back outside!

Huge improvement in the poop too. I'm glad she's doing better day by day.

As for if the Safeguard takes effect on Cecal worms within 2-6 hrs, I don't know. We can ask @dawg53 he may know the answer.
I know! Hahah she thinks she is a house turkey now! Thank you! I appreciate that!! By the way, do you think the 2 doses of safeguard separated by 10 days is ok? This is what we were instructed to do for the turkey and we were planning on doing the same thing for the chickens, but I have been reading about the daily 5-day treatment as well...seems like the latter is for all but round worms and I guess cecal worms are not round worms so now I am confused haha.

Back
Top Bottom