Coccidiosis or no? Poo pics included

Nckyturkma

Chirping
Apr 10, 2023
Prunedale, CA
Hello everyone. I have 2 ameraucauna chicks, a hen and a roo, and a bb bronze turkey that were all raised together. I have had them since they were a day old. They are 13 weeks. We transitioned them outside into a coop a few weeks back (kept them inside longer than normal to help the turkey build up it's immune system in hopes of giving it a good chance in case of blackhead).

All seem happy and healthy. They are fed crumbles and occasionally a little scratch or some fruits/veggies from time to time (no berries). Just introduced them to watermelon a few days ago. All eating and drinking.

They were out running around the yard today for a few hours and when I put them back in coop I saw a red colored poop in the run- just one. It is small so I believe it is one of the chickens. Could it be stomach lining or does it look like coccidiosis? I have attached a photo.

We also have 3 laying hens in a separate coop that is next door to theirs. If I need to treat the chicks should I treat the older hens in the separate coop too? Can the turkey and chicks all get the same dose of Corid if I need to treat them?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20230615_162156.jpg
    20230615_162156.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 667
  • 20230615_162115.jpg
    20230615_162115.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Just introduced them to watermelon a few days ago. All eating and drinking.
To me, it looks like intestinal shedding.
But, yes, you could start all the chicks and the poult on Corid if you wish or if you see more of poop like that in the bedding overnight.

Hens in separate coop wouldn't need treatment unless you start to see symptoms. Older hens generally have resistance to the Coccidia that are found in their environment.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

But, yes, you could start all the chicks and the poult on Corid if you wish or if you see more of poop like that in the bedding overnight.

Hens in separate coop wouldn't need treatment unless you start to see symptoms. Older hens generally have resistance to the Coccidia that are found in their environment.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Thank you so very much for your response and helpful information! Greatly appreciated!!

Update: I bought the Corid the day I noticed the red poop and there was nothing off yesterday. Everyone seemed okay. We cleaned out the coop to make sure no droppings (we have a dirt floor in the coop so hard to keep sterile) and sterilized their waterer. Only thing I noticed was I thought the turkey seemed a little less active than normal. It had a few kinda green bubbly poops which made me worry.

This morning I went out and opened their coop to let them into the run. Looked in the coop and the hen box had two more bloody poops. So I am feeling worse that it is cocci. The turkey again seems not itself.

I took their 5 quart waterer and filled it not all the way full (tried to est 4 quarts) and added 2 tsp liquid corid. The hen and turkey drank from it right away. Is there anything else I can do? I don't have a way to separate the hen from the rest of the flock (I suspect they are her poos) but is there a chance it would not have spread already in the past 2 days?

Photos of the bloody hen poo and the green bubbly turkey poop (they have time to free range and eat greens but I read somewhere else this could be a sign of cocci in the turkey?)

Attachments

• 20230617_071812.jpg
    20230617_071812.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230616_214345.jpg
    20230616_214345.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 14
I'd make sure they are drinking the medicated water.

Any chance they are getting into something moldy or rotten. All the feed is fresh, in date and not moldy?
Yes the feed is fresh. We give them fresh feed every day. The two 13-week chicks seem fine but the turkey is worrying me. It is drinking a lot of the medicated water which is good. It has diarrhea and its kinda yellow and it is very tired and keeps closing eyes and sometimes panting. I have it inside with me because I am worried and want to watch it. It won't eat. I am worried that I am treating it for cocci but it could be blackhead or something else.

O.K. good, I've seen some people mention their bags of feed had clumps or mold in them, this can make birds sick, so it's a good idea to always check.

Ooof. I don't know a lot about Turkeys but I do remember seeing that sulfur yellow looking poop in Turkeys could indicate Blackhead.
I think you can treat for Coccidiosis and Blackhead at the same time, but let's tag in @casportpony

I'd still continue giving the Corid to the chicken chicks.

O.K. good, I've seen some people mention their bags of feed had clumps or mold in them, this can make birds sick, so it's a good idea to always check.

Ooof. I don't know a lot about Turkeys but I do remember seeing that sulfur yellow looking poop in Turkeys could indicate Blackhead.
I think you can treat for Coccidiosis and Blackhead at the same time, but let's tag in @casportpony

I'd still continue giving the Corid to the chicken chicks.
Thank you so much for your reply! @casportpony is amazing. She drove an hour to my house to help me learn how to administer the medication and fluids. I am so grateful. I am treating her for blackhead and will still continue to give her the Corid. I really hope she gets better. She is my little baby.

Update: I find updates so helpful- the two chicks never showed signs of sickness, but our turkey got sick. Her symptoms were: lethargy, closing eyes while standing up, not alert or curious, refused to eat but was drinking excessively, diarrhea (a few yellow but mostly green), lots of panting (noticed she does do this though when she lays down), felt very hot to the touch, and lots of sleeping.

We treated the chicks with Corid in their water for 3 days. They never had more bloody poop.

We decided our turkey's symptoms seemed more like blackhead. She is 15.5 lbs. We treated her with Corid for 3 days (1 ml in morning and 1 ml in evening). We gave her metronidazole (currently on day 5 of 5-day treatment) (1/2 tsp of powder in water via tube and syringe 1 time a day), and Baytril for secondary infection- currently on day 5 of 5-day treatment (1.06ml two times per day). We also treated her with Safeguard (.23 ml per pound). She still needs her 2nd dose (10 days after first).

On the second day of treatment she greatly improved and began eating. Over the past 4 days she has each day got firmer poops and she is not sleepy and she is her old self with energy both eating and drinking. Her poops still have a greenish tinge but getting better by the day.

We still need to deworm the chicks and sterilize their coop before reintroducing the turkey. The turkey has been inside this whole time recieving our constant care (she is very active and into everything if we don't watch her). We might buy an intermediate cage/coop so we can put her back outside in two days before she re-enters the coop.

I have heard from some that even though blackhead is caused by a protozoa carried by the cecal worm, that turkeys can develop an immunity (somehow?), and often after treatment with metronidazole won't get blackhead again. Hope this is true. We will regularly worm the flock and keep keeping things as clean as possible. I think I will try adding cayenne to food, but have heard this does not prevent blackhead, but others say it works. Hope this info helps others.

Progression of poop pics

Attachments

• 20230617_114425.jpg
    20230617_114425.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230617_184758.jpg
    20230617_184758.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230618_100140.jpg
    20230618_100140.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230619_062124.jpg