Coccidiosis or no? Poo pics included

Nckyturkma

Chirping
Apr 10, 2023
Prunedale, CA
Hello everyone. I have 2 ameraucauna chicks, a hen and a roo, and a bb bronze turkey that were all raised together. I have had them since they were a day old. They are 13 weeks. We transitioned them outside into a coop a few weeks back (kept them inside longer than normal to help the turkey build up it's immune system in hopes of giving it a good chance in case of blackhead).

All seem happy and healthy. They are fed crumbles and occasionally a little scratch or some fruits/veggies from time to time (no berries). Just introduced them to watermelon a few days ago. All eating and drinking.

They were out running around the yard today for a few hours and when I put them back in coop I saw a red colored poop in the run- just one. It is small so I believe it is one of the chickens. Could it be stomach lining or does it look like coccidiosis? I have attached a photo.

We also have 3 laying hens in a separate coop that is next door to theirs. If I need to treat the chicks should I treat the older hens in the separate coop too? Can the turkey and chicks all get the same dose of Corid if I need to treat them?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20230615_162156.jpg
    20230615_162156.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 671
  • 20230615_162115.jpg
    20230615_162115.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
O.K. good, I've seen some people mention their bags of feed had clumps or mold in them, this can make birds sick, so it's a good idea to always check.

Ooof. I don't know a lot about Turkeys but I do remember seeing that sulfur yellow looking poop in Turkeys could indicate Blackhead.
I think you can treat for Coccidiosis and Blackhead at the same time, but let's tag in @casportpony

I'd still continue giving the Corid to the chicken chicks.
Thank you so much for your reply! @casportpony is amazing. She drove an hour to my house to help me learn how to administer the medication and fluids. I am so grateful. I am treating her for blackhead and will still continue to give her the Corid. I really hope she gets better. She is my little baby.

Just introduced them to watermelon a few days ago. All eating and drinking.
To me, it looks like intestinal shedding.
But, yes, you could start all the chicks and the poult on Corid if you wish or if you see more of poop like that in the bedding overnight.

Hens in separate coop wouldn't need treatment unless you start to see symptoms. Older hens generally have resistance to the Coccidia that are found in their environment.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

O.K. good, I've seen some people mention their bags of feed had clumps or mold in them, this can make birds sick, so it's a good idea to always check.

Ooof. I don't know a lot about Turkeys but I do remember seeing that sulfur yellow looking poop in Turkeys could indicate Blackhead.
I think you can treat for Coccidiosis and Blackhead at the same time, but let's tag in @casportpony

I'd still continue giving the Corid to the chicken chicks.

Update: Turkey finished meds yesterday (other than 2nd dose of safeguard). She has kept her weight at 15.5 lbs and she continues to eat/drink normally (as she did after starting meds). She is very active and alert and her normal self. Her poops are not 100% normal yet, every second or third one is still watery, BUT we have been seeing nice, firm, non-green poops, which is great (never thought poop would make me so happy haha). She has been on quarantine in our house for the past 6 days. It has been a lot of work because she is so curious and into everything. We have her in our living room fenced within one area of the room, and I have had to work from home all week and constantly watch her. I finally succumbed to letting her sit on the lazy boy (after putting a drop cloth down). She really loves sitting on the foot rest.

She will be transitioning back outside tomorrow. I bought a wire coop thing off Amazon to temporarily put her in until be can treat the chicks with safeguard (i have heard it takes effect within 2-6 hrs...not sure if this is true) and clean their coop out very well. Fingers crossed she never gets this again, but I will update if anything else happens.

Attachments

• 20230621_090208.jpg
    20230621_090208.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230621_134413.jpg
    20230621_134413.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230622_074212.jpg
    20230622_074212.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230621_082459.jpg
    20230621_082459.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 2
Thank you so much for your reply! @casportpony is amazing. She drove an hour to my house to help me learn how to administer the medication and fluids. I am so grateful. I am treating her for blackhead and will still continue to give her the Corid. I really hope she gets better. She is my little baby.
Please please tell my you hugged Kathy!? Please say yes.

Back
Top Bottom