Coccidiosis? Or something else?

It can work that fast, but how are they acting? Are they all drinking well and eating? Let us know how they are getting along.
They are acting totally fine. Eating and drinking normally. They are active, grooming, bathing, etc. The D'Uccles were running around like crazy before, flying and jumping all over the place. They're crazy. 😂

Corid tends to work fast, yep. Great news about the blood being gone, whew.
That's great! So, I'll probably end the main treatment after Wednesday (that's 5 days), and then I'll switch to the smaller dose.
When do you think it would be safe to allow the new chickens to start mingling with the other chickens?

That's great! So, I'll probably end the main treatment after Wednesday (that's 5 days), and then I'll switch to the smaller dose.
When do you think it would be safe to allow the new chickens to start mingling with the other chickens?
Not sure. Maybe research how long birds shed extra coccidiosis germs after treatment, if at all? That's great they're feeling good!

Beyond biosecurity-type considerations, integrating is a personal decision, since success depends on your chicken-keeping style, housing, work and travel schedule, and of course your birds.

We came late to chickens and always say we're making up for lack of chicken know-how with space + nutrition. Their yard can be closed into 2 sections for littles to grow up adjacent to the existing flock, so our integrations are long and slow, and the birds ultimately choose which coops they roost in at night. I figure letting them enjoy their habits and friendships keeps them happy and healthy. Other people have different integration approaches, just as valid and maybe more efficient.

That may be way more info than you needed.

Not sure. Maybe research how long birds shed extra coccidiosis germs after treatment, if at all? That's great they're feeling good!

Beyond biosecurity-type considerations, integrating is a personal decision, since success depends on your chicken-keeping style, housing, work and travel schedule, and of course your birds.

We came late to chickens and always say we're making up for lack of chicken know-how with space + nutrition. Their yard can be closed into 2 sections for littles to grow up adjacent to the existing flock, so our integrations are long and slow, and the birds ultimately choose which coops they roost in at night. I figure letting them enjoy their habits and friendships keeps them happy and healthy. Other people have different integration approaches, just as valid and maybe more efficient.

That may be way more info than you needed.
Okay, thanks! I'll look it up and see how long they could spread coccidiosis.
I switched to the smaller dose today. I'm going to continue this for 5 days I think, since they seem to react so well to it.

All four girls are going great. One of them actually laid her very first egg today! Do you think that egg is safe to eat? Or should I wait to eat her eggs?

Well, here we go again. @Eggcessive, @HiEverybirdy, I found these two poops just now. One I know exactly which chicken it came from (it's from one of the D'Uccles), and the other one I'm not certain, but I know it's from a D'Uccle, as it was in a spot only they can get to.
Could the coccidiosis have possibly come back? They are all still doing great, acting healthy. They are still getting Corid, but the smaller dose at this point.
There has been absolutely no blood for a whole week now. Why would it suddenly come again? They've been eating a lot of watermelon these past 3 days (it's been really hot here), could it be red from that?

IMG_20210814_130003275.jpg

IMG_20210814_125900834_HDR.jpg

I also found these two other poops. Not sure if these are significant, but I thought I'd post pics of them anyway, just in case.

IMG_20210814_130123786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210814_130331258_HDR.jpg

There is no egg withdrawal time with Corid/amprollium. Coccidia is in the soil everywhere. They build up tolerance to it gradually with some exposure and as they grow. Hard to know if they have it again, but you could have your vet check for a large number in the poop. How are they drinking and acting?

There is no egg withdrawal time with Corid/amprollium. Coccidia is in the soil everywhere. They build up tolerance to it gradually with some exposure and as they grow. Hard to know if they have it again, but you could have your vet check for a large number in the poop. How are they drinking and acting?
They are drinking and acting fine. Just like normal.
The vets here are useless. I wasn't even able to get a foster rabbit, that came covered in ticks, in for an appointment. But, I guess I could try anyway.
Should I increase the Corid dose again, for a couple days?

Back
Top Bottom