Coccidiosis? Or something else?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I got 4 new chickens (2 D'Uccles and 2 EE/RIR mixes) on July 25. The D'Uccles are about 13 weeks old. The EE mixes are a little over 5 months old.
They spent about 8 days in the garage, while I finished building their coop. They went out on Tuesday evening, and yesterday was their first full day outside.
I've been keeping a really close eye on them, making sure they are healthy. They look fine to me. They are acting completely normal, eyes and noses are clear, feathers clean and smooth, eating and drinking, grooming, dust bathing, etc.
However, today, I found two poops with some blood. I also found some blood in the coop shavings, but not mixed with poop. I found some blood on one of the D'Uccle's feet, so she might have either injured her foot (she likes to fight 😅) or she stepped in some blood.
Do you think they have Coccidiosis? Or something else? Is it just shed intestinal lining?
(I put some ACV and vitamins in their water, just to kind of give them a boost. I'll obviously get some proper treatment if they are sick though.)

Here are some pictures of the poop and the blood in the shavings:

2538.jpeg

2535.jpeg
2537.jpeg
2540.jpeg
2544.jpeg
2542.jpeg
2543.jpeg
2536.jpeg
2539.jpeg
2541.jpeg

Personally, I would treat for possible coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium.) It is found at most feed stores in the cattle medicines. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all birds at the same time.

Personally, I would treat for possible coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium.) It is found at most feed stores in the cattle medicines. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all birds at the same time.
Okay, I'll do that. These girls are still in quarantine, but they are right next to my other chicken's coop. Should I treat them too?

Blood is not always present during coccidiosis. Droppings may be runny and have mucus, and blood may only occur in some strains of coccidiosis. There are about 9 important strains and about 2 may cause blood. Coccidia are in the soil and in the droppings. Chickens gradually build up tolerance to it in the first months of age, but if suddenly exposed to a large amount at once when building up tolerance, or if a chicken is having immunity issues or run down, they can get it at any age.

Blood is not always present during coccidiosis. Droppings may be runny and have mucus, and blood may only occur in some strains of coccidiosis. There are about 9 important strains and about 2 may cause blood. Coccidia are in the soil and in the droppings. Chickens gradually build up tolerance to it in the first months of age, but if suddenly exposed to a large amount at once when building up tolerance, or if a chicken is having immunity issues or run down, they can get it at any age.
Oh, interesting. I didn't know there are several types! Is the treatment the same for all of them?
How long does it take to build an immunity?

So, I went to check on them early this morning, and I found this mess of blood under the roost. There is no poop mixed in, just blood. There are also some weird, almost fleshy lumps mixed in. I have no idea what those are.
Based on where it was under the roost, I think it came from one of the EE/RIR mixes.
All four chickens are still acting fine this morning. I don't see any of the coccidiosis symptoms, besides the blood of course.

2545.jpeg

2547.jpeg
2546.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom