Coccidiosis question.

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
So last night we lost a girl to what I believe coccidiosis. All the symptoms throughout and at the end point to it. I've been treating the whole flock for somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks now with a dosage chart I found on here somewhere.

All the birds I still have appear healthy and active. All still eating, drinking and running around along with acting like chickens should.

My question is, is it safe to dose them for an extra week to ensure the parasite is gone? Or is it necessary? I'm thinking about the extra week out if precaution. The bird that died made it beyond the 1 week average from detection to death. So I feel an extra week in this case is warranted.

This is the post. But I didn't see anywhere where it says to take a break from treating.
It doesn't, because you aren't supposed to. If they Cord in the water didn't work it could be that they were not drinking enough, which is very common when they are sick. When I have one that's not drinking enough, I give it undiluted orally (I have an article about that too).

It's also possible that the strain is resistant to Cord, so you need to treat with something else like Baycox (tolrazuril) or a sulfa antibiotic.

So last night we lost a girl to what I believe coccidiosis. All the symptoms throughout and at the end point to it. I've been treating the whole flock for somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks now with a dosage chart I found on here somewhere.

All the birds I still have appear healthy and active. All still eating, drinking and running around along with acting like chickens should.

My question is, is it safe to dose them for an extra week to ensure the parasite is gone? Or is it necessary? I'm thinking about the extra week out if precaution. The bird that died made it beyond the 1 week average from detection to death. So I feel an extra week in this case is warranted.
How old are your chickens?

What made you think the one died of coccidiosis?

What medication did you use for the treatment? What dosage?

How old are the birds you're treating for coccidiosis?

How old are your chickens?

What made you think the one died of coccidiosis?

What medication did you use for the treatment? What dosage?
Started with bloody stool. Range from 10 weeks to roughly two years. For 5 days 2 tsp per gal then went to half tsp per gallon per directions on a post on here that I can't find.

If you lose another, your state poultry vet can perform a necropsy to find out if coccidiosis was the problem. You could also have a local vet perform a fecal test on fresh droppings to look for coccidiosis or worms. Sorry for your loss.
I did call my vet for the dogs. They also do chickens and other farm animals. But they're pricy to say the least. Thank you for the condolences.

I would not. You should give them a week off, and then retreat them. However; I’m not sure since you’ve been treating them for a whole two weeks. I believe it should be 5 days, then a break then treat again. Let me ask some experts

@Wyorp Rock
@aart

Back
Top Bottom