Tjbrooks121314

Hatching
Aug 30, 2023
I have a speckled Sussex hen that is about 9 weeks old we purchased from Craigslist. She is outside in a coop and run with 3 others hens the same age and she seems to have been quite lethargic all day which is unusual for her from what we’ve seen. She doesn’t seem to be interested in food or treats like normal and her poop is slightly watery.I am fairly new to chickens so any advice is greatly appreciated. We have also had quite a few hot days lately but I’ve noticed they stay in the shade and I have kept fresh cool water in there regularly for them. None of the other hens seem to be affected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 5
If the other birds she's with came from the same place, quarantine is likely not necessary.
Any bloody or mucus poops?
The other birds are from the same guy and the second picture is of the most recent bowel movement from the sick hen. No blood that I see but it is definitely runny. I have some Borid on hand but don’t want to give any un needed medicine

The other birds are from the same guy and the second picture is of the most recent bowel movement from the sick hen. No blood that I see but it is definitely runny. I have some Borid on hand but don’t want to give any un needed medicine
Corid is only a thiamine (Vitamin B) inhibitor, it won't to give her some even if it's not the issue.

Corid is only a thiamine (Vitamin B) inhibitor, it won't to give her some even if it's not the issue.
I think I’m going to add some electrolytes along with the borid to their water for a few days and see if she perks up. Thank you for the help and if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them!

I think I’m going to add some electrolytes along with the borid to their water for a few days and see if she perks up. Thank you for the help and if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them!
Don't do that. Most electrolytes have vitamins and will cancel out the corid and make the coccidiosis worse if she has it.
You can do one or the other but not both.

Back
Top Bottom