Lethargic Hen

Birking-chickens

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Hey y’all!
I have a Rhode Island Red hen who is about 3 years old who doesn’t seem to be feeling well. A few days ago she seemed less perky than usual and has become less and less the following days. We just separated her from the others, but we are unsure what is causing the issue. She doesn’t want to eat or drink. We felt and it doesn’t seem to be that she egg bound, but we also haven’t seen any poop from her, which is unusual. Is she constipated or something else? Please help! Thank you!

Have you checked her crop? If not, feel it now, and check it again in the morning. If it feels full and lumpy now and there is no change in the morning, then she may be "constipated", meaning impacted crop which can extend into the gizzard.

Have you checked her crop? If not, feel it now, and check it again in the morning. If it feels full and lumpy now and there is no change in the morning, then she may be "constipated", meaning impacted crop which can extend into the gizzard.
And what would I do if she was “constipated”?

If I send some images could you help me determine what it is? I'm a newer chicken owner so I do not really know what I am feeling.
You would treat it with coconut oil and massage. This article of mine explains how to go about doing it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Could I attach some pictures so you could help me determine what it is? I a newer chicken owner so I do not really understand what I am feeling. We put her back in with the other chickens because she seemed to feel better after one night of being separated, and she drank water and scratched and pecked around like normal, but today she is back to being lethargic and weird (not wanting to eat the treats, etc.). Also, her posturing has changed. It’s like her head is tucking way back. Thanks!

Last edited:
Note on the diagram below where the crop is. When the crop is empty, the chest wall is flat and you won't be able to see or feel the crop. But when the chicken eats, the crop fills and expands, making it easy to see and feel.

There is a condition called pendulous crop (in the article) and this can be chronic because the crop hangs too low for the contents to empty into the proventriculus. This is where a crop bra can be helpful.

In serious crop impactions, surgery is required as a last resort after all else has failed.
1641528817331-png.png

Note on the diagram below where the crop is. When the crop is empty, the chest wall is flat and you won't be able to see or feel the crop. But when the chicken eats, the crop fills and expands, making it easy to see and feel.

There is a condition called pendulous crop (in the article) and this can be chronic because the crop hangs too low for the contents to empty into the proventriculus. This is where a crop bra can be helpful.

In serious crop impactions, surgery is required as a last resort after all else has failed.View attachment 3781745
Her crop seems to be normal, but she has a sort of bump out at her neck above the crop. I noticed her posturing has changed. It’s like her head is tucking way back.

Get someone to hold her while you take a photo of this neck lump, both from the side and from the front.

What does it feel like? Hard, soft, lumpy, bony? How large is it? What does it do when you give her something to eat?

Her crop seems to be normal, but she has a sort of bump out at her neck above the crop. I noticed her posturing has changed. It’s like her head is tucking way back.

In serious crop impactions, surgery is required as a last resort after all else has failed.View attachment 3781745
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    830.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    747.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    805.4 KB · Views: 3
Get someone to hold her while you take a photo of this neck lump, both from the side and from the front.

What does it feel like? Hard, soft, lumpy, bony? How large is it? What does it do when you give her something to eat?
I just attached some pictures above. It feels bony. She is refusing all food.

Back
Top Bottom