Coccidiosis ?

Missa Chickabee

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Hi Al,

Newbie back with questions. Well,,,,I have one 9 week old chick who doesn't follow the others out in the morning, She sits with her feathers puffed up and her beakin her back feathers. She went out when I coaxed her. Is it too early to jump to treatment. Can anyone outline the steps I should take from here. There are the textbooks, but nothing speaks to me like your experience.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Do her poops have blood in them? Are they foamy and green? Bloody means Coccidosis, foamy means worms.

You can worm chicks when they are 4 weeks old (I use Wazine 17)

Use 1 ounce of Wazine 17 per gallon. Let the chickens drink it for 24 hours (not drinking any other water) then rinse it out, put fresh non-medicated water in the waterer it for 10 days. Then on day 10, repeat the treatment of Wazine wait 24 hours, the rinse it out and put fresh non-medicated water in.

See what happens.

Thank-you. My one hen (18 hens, 1 rooster) started really failing. She looked like a texbook coccidiosis and on another thread I was advised to treat for that. They are on day 5 and the improvement has been phenomonal. I first noticed her symptoms about 12 hours before started treating them all with Corid.

Here's the deal. All the poops except probably one hen's have formed up nicely. Also I found one nicely formed poop with fresh blood in it this morning. But everyone is ACTING OK.

The roo had some loose olive greenish stools that are now formed and are olivey/tan now. Thinking he may be a carrier of something. I might just let him free range and give my little girls a break from his newly-discovered hormones (he is 5 mos and the hens are now 10 weeks.)

I have copied and filed your advice re worms and will keep it accessible.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to check up on us.

Back
Top Bottom