coccidiosis??

FruitfulFaith

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
Okay, I got my chicks monday morning and they all looked AWESOME.
Half are now dead, or dying.
It sounded to me like coccidiosis. Does this sound like it to you??

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) they should be about 2-3 days, red stars, black stars, a golden polish, and australorps (none of my anconas have any problem)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
They are perfectly fine and normal, then they begin to run around less then the others. Then they stop eating. They act more and more lethargic, crawl away, and will either lay down or fall asleep sitting. Some have pooped dark brown runny stool. They eventually reach the point that they are lying down, stretching out, labored breathing, or some have curled up really tight. Finally, most of them have leaked fluid from their mouths as they die.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A few hours after I got them home, and every few hours since, there is another one infected.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
quick chick in the water, non-medicated feed

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
they should have been vaccinated from it.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They are in a pallet brooder, with chicken wire on the bottom raised over a tarp so that everything falls through. I know the pallet can harbor the bacteria, but like I said - they were supposed to be vaccinated from Cocci.

Unfortunately, even chicks who are vaccinated can still contract Cocci if exposed to. I just went through a similar situation and lost 5 of my 6 chicks :( You need to get to a feed store right away and get a bovine med called Corid. It kills the parasite that causes Cocci. Also make sure you change their bedding if they have any, and disinfect your brooder and food/water dishes with ammonia. Bleach will not kill the bacteria.

Good luck, and I wish you the best!

unfortunately I live in a secluded area and have ZERO access to medication. I will order some online for future cases, but for right now, I have no way of getting it here in time. I changed the feeder and their water has no way of getting any feces or anything in it. Im totally bummed. McMurray is telling me it cannot be Cocci, and asking if they are warm enough. I have never seen a chick that was too cold just stop eating, stretch out and gasp for air. :/

Dark bloody poop is a major sign of the disease, and a high fatality rate as well :( I was told though that buttermilk or plain yogurt can help slow the disease process, and coat the intestines, so that may buy you a little more time.

unfortunately I live in a secluded area and have ZERO access to medication. I will order some online for future cases, but for right now, I have no way of getting it here in time. I changed the feeder and their water has no way of getting any feces or anything in it. Im totally bummed. McMurray is telling me it cannot be Cocci, and asking if they are warm enough. I have never seen a chick that was too cold just stop eating, stretch out and gasp for air. :/

Aw, poor babies :( I guess I would just keep trying and hope for the best. In the meantime, I would definitely order the Corid online so you have it on hand if you should ever need to use it.

Good luck, and keep us updated :)

or if you are close by a tractor supply, they may have corid in the cooler (premix in a vile) or power form.
i keep the power (and fridge the pack... it keeps longer)... remember its a bovine med :)... for chicks... its like brill cream...
a little dab'll do ya...

I ordered it since my replacement chicks will be here monday and I don't want to lose half of them. We haven't had any more losses for two days, so we may be over the hump, at least for now. I obviously can't be 100% sure it's cocci, but from what I've read it seems likely. I definitely want to keep some Corid on hand because if this is cocci we will probably be having battles with it with every batch of chicks :/

I'd actually be a little surprised if it was coccidiosis so soon, especially if they were vaccinated for it. What is the temperature in your brooder? Do they have a part of the brooder that consistently stays around 90 degrees or so where they can warm up? If they are not warm enough they will simply not thrive and yes, eventually they stop eating and die. I think you posted on another thread that these chicks were in a room of about 60 degree's with no heat lamp but near a wood stove or other heat source? At this young age they really do need a consistent heat source at about 90 to 95 degrees where they can warm up when they need to, so maybe they aren't getting the warmth they need.

Back
Top Bottom