Coccidosis?

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
AB577AAE-724D-4240-BFE9-84F74082D144.jpeg

I’ve got a sick pullet. Not sure what’s going on. We had a new chicken that we introduced yesterday but we actually quarantined that chicken for 35 days and it’s fine so I’m a little confused. I separated this chicken and she’s in our little hospital coop with 1gal of water and 2.5tsp of corrid. Is that right? Also, what if she doesn’t drink it? Is there a way I can “feed” it to her? If so, how much? It’s our favorite little pullet so my girls are so sad.
I also added corrid to the water in the main coop as well just in case.
Any other tips, tricks or advice?

*EDIT*
I just got confirmation from my husband that this chicken was sick like this the day BEFORE we introduced the new chicken (he just thought it was sleeping, but did think it was weird. Uhg. Wish he told me before!). So, for whatever it’s worth, it’s NOT from the new chicken.

Last edited:
View attachment 2659312

I’ve got a sick pullet. Not sure what’s going on. We had a new chicken that we introduced yesterday but we actually quarantined that chicken for 35 days and it’s fine so I’m a little confused. I separated this chicken and she’s in our little hospital coop with 1gal of water and 2.5tsp of corrid. Is that right? Also, what if she doesn’t drink it? Is there a way I can “feed” it to her? If so, how much? It’s our favorite little pullet so my girls are so sad.
I also added corrid to the water in the main coop as well just in case.
Any other tips, tricks or advice?

*EDIT*
I just got confirmation from my husband that this chicken was sick like this the day BEFORE we introduced the new chicken (he just thought it was sleeping, but did think it was weird. Uhg. Wish he told me before!). So, for whatever it’s worth, it’s NOT from the new chicken.
Give your whole flock corid just in case (which I see you said you did that). Hope she gets better

Correct dose of Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Correct dose of Corid powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water. A bit too much is not likely to hurt anything, but no need to waste it either. You can use an oral syringe to slowly give her some of the Corid water if she's not drinking on her own, and I would do that every couple of hours until she starts drinking on her own. You can also give her a stronger oral dose once a day in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
I would recommend doing the extra oral dose.

Correct dose of Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Correct dose of Corid powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water. A bit too much is not likely to hurt anything, but no need to waste it either. You can use an oral syringe to slowly give her some of the Corid water if she's not drinking on her own, and I would do that every couple of hours until she starts drinking on her own. You can also give her a stronger oral dose once a day in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
I would recommend doing the extra oral dose.
Will it do any harm to preemptively treat my whole flock? I have one pullet who may or may not have been exposed to coccidosis. Her sister pullet had blood in the stool but no sign of ill health from this one yet. Should I dose the whole flock? Any harm done if they’re not exposed and can we eat the eggs while they’re on the medication?

If one bird is sick, I would treat all of them that are kept together, they have all been exposed. Older birds that are not new to the flock are likely resistant to whatever strain(s) of coccidia you have, young birds, chicks, birds moved to new ground, are the most at risk. There is no egg withdrawl for Corid, the eggs are perfectly safe.

If one bird is sick, I would treat all of them that are kept together, they have all been exposed. Older birds that are not new to the flock are likely resistant to whatever strain(s) of coccidia you have, young birds, chicks, birds moved to new ground, are the most at risk. There is no egg withdrawl for Corid, the eggs are perfectly safe.
Thanks! I’ve dealt with a lot of chicken ailments but this one is new for me! Just dropped a fecal sample at UC Davis to confirm too.

Back
Top Bottom