Cocciodosis and corid timeline?

chickenchick2714

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
I decided to treat my entire flock for cocciodosis none of them were showing any symptoms aside from bloody stool and yesterday two of my girls had a paler comb than usual. Today is day 2 out of 5 of treatment a little over 24 hours of their water being treated and everyone seems totally healthy and fine, the other 2 even have a redder color coming back to their comb already, I will still be finishing out all 5 days but I’m so hopeful did I catch it early enough and is this a sign things are taking course and they should be okay? and is it typical for it to happen so quickly with the Corid? I’m still seeing bloody stool but I’m assuming that’s to be expected for now

Photos of the poop?

How old are your hens?
Corid should clear up Coccidiosis fairly quickly, but sometimes if there's a lot of blood and not clearing up, a sulfa antibiotic may be needed.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

I'm dealing with suspected coccidiosis in an 8.5 week old chick. I'm on day 3 of Corid. The chick is definitely more energetic than she was on Tuesday, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Original clue was lethargy and a small glob of bloody pine shaving bedding. I saw streaks of blood in the butt fluff of the lethargic chick. I also saw what I'm pretty sure was blood in a few stools.

@Wyorp Rock, after treatment, should I follow up with Nutridrench... or some other vitamin supplement, since Corid blocks Thiamine? Does the age of the chick change any of the recommendations? All of my flock (5 hens, 5 chicks, and a rooster) have only Corid water to drink right now.

I've posted about this in another (chat) thread, but thought I'd post here too, as it's on topic, and might help others looking for info.

I'm dealing with suspected coccidiosis in an 8.5 week old chick. I'm on day 3 of Corid. The chick is definitely more energetic than she was on Tuesday, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Original clue was lethargy and a small glob of bloody pine shaving bedding. I saw streaks of blood in the butt fluff of the lethargic chick. I also saw what I'm pretty sure was blood in a few stools.

@Wyorp Rock, after treatment, should I follow up with Nutridrench... or some other vitamin supplement, since Corid blocks Thiamine? Does the age of the chick change any of the recommendations? All of my flock (5 hens, 5 chicks, and a rooster) have only Corid water to drink right now.

I've posted about this in another (chat) thread, but thought I'd post here too, as it's on topic, and might help others looking for info.
You can give probiotics or vitamins after you finish the course of treatment.
Dosing of Corid does not change because of age of birds.
👇
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Photos of the poop?

How old are your hens?
Corid should clear up Coccidiosis fairly quickly, but sometimes if there's a lot of blood and not clearing up, a sulfa antibiotic may be needed.

They range from 8-20 weeks old and the youngest ones are still separated but inside the coop so they are being treated as well, but today (day 3) I see no blood in any droppings or in the shavings in the coop and still no other symptoms so I’m thinking the corid is definitely working! On day 7 or 8 the day after I stop treatment should I begin probiotics?

They range from 8-20 weeks old and the youngest ones are still separated but inside the coop so they are being treated as well, but today (day 3) I see no blood in any droppings or in the shavings in the coop and still no other symptoms so I’m thinking the corid is definitely working! On day 7 or 8 the day after I stop treatment should I begin probiotics?
Yes, you can give probiotics after you finish treatment.

Back
Top Bottom