Cocciodosis dosage?

pinkpickledeggs

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
Maine, USA
Hi, all!

My lovely lady, Butters, seems to have come down with cocciodosis. I noticed she was sluggish and not interested in food or water yesterday. Weird poop, pale comb and wattle. Got liquid Corid, diluted 2 tsps in one gallon of water for the whole flock preventively. Butters wouldn't drink a drop when I set her in front of it, so I got an eye dropper and gently held her beak open and forced (it was very gentle) some in. They've gone off to bed for now and I did get a good three or four droppers' worth into her mouth. My question is: if she won't drink on her own, how often should I be helping her with the eye dropper? Thanks so much!

They suggest that Corid water be the only source of water for the week. It's nice of you to make sure she's getting it, but if she's otherwise healthy, she'll drink it when she gets thirsty. I've heard of some mixing a little bit of honey in it to make it taste better, but I personally wouldn't.

It's said average chickens drink a pint a day, more when it's hot out.

You could put her food in a dish and pour some Corid water over it. She might like that.

You can also give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight once a day for several day’s as a boost. Putting a little Corid water mix into a small bowl of the feed is also good to do. How old are they, and do you have any pictures of their poop?

They suggest that Corid water be the only source of water for the week. It's nice of you to make sure she's getting it, but if she's otherwise healthy, she'll drink it when she gets thirsty. I've heard of some mixing a little bit of honey in it to make it taste better, but I personally wouldn't.

It's said average chickens drink a pint a day, more when it's hot out.

You could put her food in a dish and pour some Corid water over it. She might like that.
Thank you! She had NO interest in water, very little in food today, which is why I was dosing her with the eye dropper, just to make sure she got at least something. Hoping for the best tomorrow and will go from there!

You can also give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight once a day for several day’s as a boost. Putting a little Corid water mix into a small bowl of the feed is also good to do. How old are they, and do you have any pictures of their poop?
Thank you so much! I'm going to do some right now for good measure, as I only got a bit in her earlier. Will try the feed idea tomorrow! She is almost two, no poop pics yet - I saw the suspicious poo earlier and immediately removed it from their pen.

Interesting turn of events: went out just now to give her a little more medicine/water in the eye dropper, as I didn't see her drink all day, and when I picked her up a stream of clear liquid came out of her beak. It was almost like drool. No sour smell and her crop felt totally normal (to me). However, she was much more willing to take the medicine from the eye dropped and even gave me attitude when she had had enough, which I haven't seen today (and this is typical behavior :)).

Interesting turn of events: went out just now to give her a little more medicine/water in the eye dropper, as I didn't see her drink all day, and when I picked her up a stream of clear liquid came out of her beak. It was almost like drool. No sour smell and her crop felt totally normal (to me). However, she was much more willing to take the medicine from the eye dropped and even gave me attitude when she had had enough, which I haven't seen today (and this is typical behavior :)).
I had that happen to an adult silkie when I was giving antibiotics mixed in water to with an eye dropper. She did the same thing, drool clear liquid like an hour later. I've never seen such a thing. Chickens can't vomit, so I presumed I shouldn't have given her that with a full crop. I wasn't even considering that. I'm not sure that would explain yours doing that, but this was about a month ago with mine and she was fine.

I had that happen to an adult silkie when I was giving antibiotics mixed in water to with an eye dropper. She did the same thing, drool clear liquid like an hour later. I've never seen such a thing. Chickens can't vomit, so I presumed I shouldn't have given her that with a full crop. I wasn't even considering that. I'm not sure that would explain yours doing that, but this was about a month ago with mine and she was fine.
How odd! It makes sense, but I never would have thought of it otherwise!

Perhaps you accidentally pressed on her crop or she was leaning forward after drinking when the liquid came up. Glad to hear that she is doing better.

Back
Top Bottom