Coccidiosis? Graphic photos.

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
This morning, I just found one of our cream leg bar chicks standing listlessly like this. Her backside feathers are wet and when I wiped her with a paper towel, it was bloody. I've included photos of both her basic stance and her backside. Everyone seemed ok last night when I tucked them last night. This morning, this.

She won't eat or drink, so we've been giving her corid water by dropper. We put a little on her beak and she drinks it. She is 7 weeks old. I am using 1/2 tsp powder per gallon of water.

Attachments

• PXL_20230806_143303915.jpg
    PXL_20230806_143303915.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 134
  • PXL_20230806_143306883.jpg
    PXL_20230806_143306883.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20230806_142541926.jpg
    PXL_20230806_142541926.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Do you think you could get a photo of one of the actual droppings, or all they all landing on her? I know of another illness that isn't related to coccidia that can cause bloody droppings, so a picture would help if you can get it. Let me know if you can't, I'll try and find that other ailment name so you can look up more about it.

I would start her on Corid as soon as possible. It won't hurt anything if it turns out to be something else, but coccidiosis can kill quickly, so starting treatment is best. Corid is very, very safe. Put her on some paper towels, a puppy pad, or clean bath towel, so you can get a better look at droppings when they happen. Dosing for Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 & 1/2 tsp of the powder mixed in a gallon of water, that should be the only drinking water available, for 5- 7 days. Make fresh daily. I would also give an oral dose once a day, dosing for that is by weight, instructions here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If she's not drinking well on her own, also give her some of the medicated water every hour or so, until she starts drinking on her own, you have to get the medication in her for it to work.

This morning, I just found one of our cream leg bar chicks standing listlessly like this. Her backside feathers are wet and when I wiped her with a paper towel, it was bloody. I've included photos of both her basic stance and her backside. Everyone seemed ok last night when I tucked them last night. This morning, this.

She won't eat or drink, so we've been giving her corid water by dropper. We put a little on her beak and she drinks it. She is 7 weeks old. I am using 1/2 tsp powder per gallon of water.
Shame man! That looks terrible

As said above, the correct dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. That 1/2 teaspoon per gallon misinformation started many years ago and has probably killed many chicks.

Anyway, do you have a food scale? If so, weigh her, and in addition to switching to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon, you can give it orally like this:

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

As said above, the correct dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. That 1/2 teaspoon per gallon misinformation started many years ago and has probably killed many chicks.

Anyway, do you have a food scale? If so, weigh her, and in addition to switching to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon, you can give it orally like this:

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
1-3 days? How do I know if I need 3 as opposed to 1.

Medicated feed may help prevent outbreaks, but they still can happen. When they do you have to treat with the full strength medication. The feed only contains a small amount of the medication, not enough to treat a full blown case. It is very, very hard to give too much Corid, I would start the higher dose right away and give the oral dose right away. Treat for a full 5 - 7 days with the medicated water. It's not going to hurt her. You want to continue the treatment until she's been acting normal for a couple of days at least. Don't stop early because there is improvement. You need to make sure that all the coccidia are gone and that her gut has time to recover. If after one oral dose she bounces back dramatically and is eating and drinking great, then you don't have to do another oral dose. If she's still not acting great, then continue with the oral dose for up to the 3 days. It really will not hurt her.....if in doubt at all, give it.

Back
Top Bottom