Cochin and Silkie genetic questions

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
So, I'm getting atleast a trio of cochins.

The roo is mottled, the one hen is black and the other is barred.

Without knowing their genetic backgrounds, is there any possibility of me getting more mottleds?

I'm sure black is dominant so im sure i'll get more pure blacks with the black hen....but hoping to produce mottled chicks.

Is mottled recessive? Is barred recessive?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I may be getting a Blue silkie pair, If I read right at one time, am i right that I can get splashes from this breeding?

Last edited:
Mottling is recessive, so no.. don't expect that to show up in the crosses. You however can either breed the siblings together or back to the mottled to get more mottleds.

Also, mottled is mottling on a black chicken. If you magically removed the mottled gene from your mottled roo, he would be.. solid black. Just like the hen. So that is genetically doing black x black anyways (minus mottling in the non-mottled bird).

Barred is again, a black chicken.. with the barring gene. Barring is also sex linked and dominant so a mottled roo x barred hen= barred sons and solid black daughters.

You didn't ask.. but the combination of barring and pure for mottling makes a "too light" barred, which sometimes can be nearly white. (check out pictures of California Gray roosters- some of them are barred plus mottling)

Yes blue x blue= blacks, blues and splashes.

Quote:
Do you have more on this?
I understood california gray had a more powerfull barring allele/gene:

Sex-linked dilution B^Sd
Females that are hemizygous for B^Sd (having one B^Sd gene) have light blue and barred plumage as do the heterozygous males, however, homozygous males show a dosage effect and are essentially white. These homozygous males resemble dominant whites but differ in that they are epistatic to pheomelanin while dominant white is not.

Back
Top Bottom