Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

We usually move our girls over to layer feed at about 16-18 weeks of age. But we've also used an All Flock feed with oyster shell on the side which works just as well :)
All 6 of our coops are insulated
1f604.png
We've got large, medium and small coops and have used a variety of things to insulate! We have 2 coops with regular R-11 rolled insulation, others with foam board, and we have even used rolled up empty feed bags between the studs in smaller areas. Then we covered everything with plywood so they're all double-walled. My husband likes to build thankfully lol so insulating was his idea
1f604.png

Here's one of our small coops:

Th
Thank you! And you're welcome lol. Yes those prefab coops are pretty thin from the ones I've seen anyway. You guys might like the foam board insulation for those- that way when you cover it up you aren't losing a lot of interior space.
One thing we found really useful for tight spaces like that is lauan plywood- you can get it 1/8" thick and it will cover up your insulation without making the coop really heavy to move
smile.png

Ok...so I do believe this is the coop we have settled on
big_smile.png
Planning on adding insulation and a couple more ventilation windows...along with the hardware cloth skirt to keep the unwanted critters out!

Hi! Just joined this thread, but have been on BYC for a little over 3 years. I have black and blue mottled bantam cochins in smooth and frizzle. They seem to multiply like rabbits, lol. I had difficulty saying no to my broody hens last year. Here are a couple of my guys.

I started reading about bantam Cochins today and kind of fell in love with them. So now I want some! How likely is it that they can get along in the same flock with my standard size chickens? I can house them separately, just would prefer not to.

Are there any special considerations for raising bantam Cochins I should know about before I commit to getting them?

Last edited:
I started reading about bantam Cochins today and kind of fell in love with them. So now I want some!  How likely is it that they can get along in the same flock with my standard size chickens?  I can house them separately, just would prefer not to.

Are there any special considerations for raising bantam Cochins I should know about before I commit to getting them?

I'm by no means an expert (first time chicken keeper), but did do a lot of research on breeds before getting mine. I have one bantam frizzle cochin. The only things that really stuck out to me as major corncerns that I remember were that bantams (especially frizzles) are more susceptible to cold. Although I didn't find that to be the case. I don't heat my coop and it isn't insulated either. I live in Wisconsin and even when we had cold snaps with horrible wind chills and blizzard conditions, all 4 of my bantams were out running around like normal and didn't seem too concerned with the cold. The other thing I remember reading is that they're a bit slow to mature and slow to start laying eggs. And when they do lay, they can be a bit unpredictable as far as laying consistently. I can't vouch for the consistency because mine still hasn't laid an egg at 8 months old.

Thanks, I can handle all those conditions. I wasn't expecting them to be great or consistent layers, part of the reason I want them is for broodiness (and cuteness factor!) Our coop is reasonable in the winter, not really heated but it keeps the wind out and that's definitely the worst around here.

Thanks, I can handle all those conditions.  I wasn't expecting them to be great or consistent layers, part of the reason I want them is for broodiness (and cuteness factor!)  Our coop is reasonable in the winter, not really heated but it keeps the wind out and that's definitely the worst around here.

Well the cute and cuddly factor is definitely there! The super fluffy ones look like a beach ball covered in feathers. Haha. And I love their chewbacca legs and feet! I have the purebred cochin and then 2 cochin/silkie mixes and they all have lovely personalities and seem to like attention (even when I don't have treats). They all come running when they see me and squawk and get frantic if I don't get to them fast enough to say hi. They also jump onto me every chance they get and enjoy being carried around the yard. The purebred cochin even crawled into my fiancées sweatshirt pocket and wouldn't come out at one point.

Well the cute and cuddly factor is definitely there! The super fluffy ones look like a beach ball covered in feathers. Haha. And I love their chewbacca legs and feet! I have the purebred cochin and then 2 cochin/silkie mixes and they all have lovely personalities and seem to like attention (even when I don't have treats). They all come running when they see me and squawk and get frantic if I don't get to them fast enough to say hi. They also jump onto me every chance they get and enjoy being carried around the yard. The purebred cochin even crawled into my fiancées sweatshirt pocket and wouldn't come out at one point.

LOL! YES...ADORABLE breed for sure!!!

Hello all!, haven't been here for a while. I'm looking some quality bantam cochins. Preferably blue mottled, mottled, or BBS. If any of you have any hatching eggs or chicks, or know of any breeders who do, please message me. Sorry if ISO posts aren't allowed here...

Thanks, I can handle all those conditions. I wasn't expecting them to be great or consistent layers, part of the reason I want them is for broodiness (and cuteness factor!) Our coop is reasonable in the winter, not really heated but it keeps the wind out and that's definitely the worst around here.

I live in Chicago and started with bantam cochins a little over 2 years ago. I started with 4 and they shared the coop with my LF Orps, and many others. Never had a problem with them getting along or them getting their fair share. And if your looking for broody hens, bantam cochins are the way to go, (I only have experience with bantam cochins). I had some going broody even over the winter. I have 3 right now, so I slipped some Orp eggs under them. They make good mothers and take the work off of us having to set up and clean a brooder.

Well I raised cochins and cochin frizzles for many years.
They are a pleasant chicken and seem to go well in a flock.
I always enjoyed the excitement that chickens get, when they expect a treat.
MINE NEVER WENT BROODIE, BUT THN I DID NOT WANT THEM TO,
AS WE RAISED OUR BANTAMS FOR SHOW AND HAD BROODERS FOR ALL BREEDS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom