Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
Thanks. It might be my interpretation too. The first thing isn't to attack the breeder... or shouldn 't be with this man being as dear as he is. I jumped in here not having all the details and certainly not understanding genetics as some do, much less just for cochins. Some thread ARE more cliquey though so... hopefully it was just a mistake. I am going to wait on CI to come up with something more for me and run with the silver quail as he is calling it for now. She can't be shown beyond her breed because of the non recognized variety. I was trying to help my son and very curious myself. You never know who is in one of the bird forums or what they have had turn up out of the hetero and homo zygous, dominant and non and this over that... such a mess to know genetics! Oh well.

I did not mean it as attacking the breeder. As I stated, his reputation precedes him and among the show circles he is spoken of very highly.

Cochin breeders here in Maine know each other and know the birds they breed. There is no attack here.

If Cochins International can be of help in this case, I am sure they will be willing to identify this variety or give an opinion and consult Mr. Hawes as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cochinsinternational/

many breeders also don't want to reveal their resources after all they have worked really hard for what they have and don't want to just give that info awasy, just throwing that out there

on another note I just got my first cochins a trio of smooth blacks and two frizzle hens bantams, they are 18 weeks old I was told they are show quality and from pilot mountsin poultry but they don't look as filled out as some as I have seen and their feet aren't yellow help would be appreciated and pics will be to follow I am a cochin newbie but not a chicken newbie

Nope, I didn't think you were attacking him so much as being snooty with me for having mentioned that I got them from him, as if I were bragging. Glad it was just typing/interpretation issues. All set.

many breeders also don't want to reveal their resources after all they have worked really hard for what they have and don't want to just give that info awasy, just throwing that out there

on another note I just got my first cochins a trio of smooth blacks and two frizzle hens bantams, they are 18 weeks old I was told they are show quality and from pilot mountsin poultry but they don't look as filled out as some as I have seen and their feet aren't yellow help would be appreciated and pics will be to follow I am a cochin newbie but not a chicken newbie
When you say their feet are not yellow are you talking about the top and leg or are you talking about the bottom of the foot? Standards call for yellow OR swarthy yellow for feet and toes. The legs and toes on most SQ Blacks are a swarthy yellow but the ones that do very well in a show pen are usually yellow on the bottom of the foot. Those birds are all too young for laying of eggs to have changed the foot/skin color which does happen.

Unless YOU bought the birds directly from Pilot Mountainside Poultry they did not come from there. It is only hearsay in my opinion. Good foot color can be determined at birth. It is safe to feed a little corn supplement to Blacks for foot and skin color and not hurt the plumage in anyway. Direct sunlight is hard on almost all feathers. It can turn White birds yellow, Blue birds rusty, and is generally not good.

Please take pictures and post them. The best pictures are from bird level and from several angles to get an overall feel for the bird if you want a real critique on anything. The reason I said that if you did not buy from Pilot Mountain they are not is this reasoning. I may sell some SQ birds to a person. They raise chicks out of them. Those are not my birds. I did not make the pairings. I may have sold good birds that are not a good breeding match because both have the same faults. The parent stock may be from my lines but they are not my birds. It is possible that I would have never let those chicks off the place.

Last edited:
Yeah, what he says! Flip them over and look at the bottom of those feet. I do not do pure black but my Mottleds have to have yellow feet, especially on the bottom.

Quote: LOL She is 6 months old and ready to be put in a breeding pen. I think I will keep her with another hen in a single 4x4 tractor and put the roo in every 3 days for 2 days visitation and then back to his breeder pen with the 6 other MFC hens. I am going to use Quincy, I do believe. I cut back on my other colors of bantam Cochins to be able to work more with the MF Frizzles.
Lovely!

Back
Top Bottom