Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
I did not breed these I bought them from ideal hatchery and some from a local breeder. My males have more feathering than your female but they look similar

i I am in love with Bantam Cochins AND the Frizzles. I have decided to get 2 of both. What I as asking as I am totally new ,is I am trying to find a good coop. How high can the house be? Will they walk the ramp ? Anyone have pictures of their coops I could see....thank you so much. Michele

Hi! I ordered about 9 frizzled assorted about 6 months ago. The females are about to lay and the males are already reproducing with the frizzled female that was already producing, and I recently bought two black frizzles. One is growing normally but the other one is not. His feathers are growing in but sparse and his fluff is not coming in under his feathers. His skin is a yellowish color and the skin on his breast bone is reddish looking. I looked at my last batch of frizzles who are grown and there are two males in that batch who have this too. I thought that they were just runts but they are full grown frizzles that look like 15 week old chickens. I do not have the money to take them to the vet and I do not want to kill my beloved frizzles. Does anyone have an idea what this is or how to get rid of it?! I will try to post pictures soon if needed.

I did not breed these I bought them from ideal hatchery and some from a local breeder. My males have more feathering than your female but they look similar

Read your first post:

"Hi! I ordered about 9 frizzled assorted about 6 months ago. The females are about to lay and the males are already reproducing with the frizzled female that was already producing..."

That's called "breeding;" you most certainly are breeding frizzled to frizzled unless you didn't write what you were trying to say.

"I looked at my last batch of frizzles who are grown and there are two males in that batch who have this too."

It would seem, you are seeing the PREDICABLE results of breeding frizzled to frizzled, unless these are the purchased birds. Either way, use only smooth feathered birds with your frizzles. Complicating the breeding of frizzles is a gene or group of genes that modifies the frizzle gene. In other words, the frizzle gene may be present, but this gene or genes suppresses its expressing giving you visually smooth feathering (phenotype) that is genetically frizzled (genotype).

Dealing with my own two frazzled birds, it saddens me to see people breeding frizzle to frizzle. The birds really suffer.

this makes me think of a naked neck I have I noticed she would get blotchy skin some times. It made me think of this really blonde kid I know who if he is upset or fustrated- (wrestling season) would get really pink/blotchy.

im thinking of naming my small funny, bossy sounding, very wide, little blue rooster king henry viii (previous english king)

My son--he's 21, not a kid!--named his favorite chicken, a silver laced Polish pullet, Walter. Walter! She's the bird in my avatar. I wanted Dahlia, but no, she is Walter.

Sorry Abbot what autocorrect did to my post. =(
Yeah, I get that, but men are kids until at least 40, aren't they? My DH is 39 and, although he named my pet chicken "Snoodle", he also nicknamed her "handy-cluck". :mad:

DO NOT EVER BREED TWO FRIZZLES TOGETHER.

Frizzle is a dominant gene. One copy gives you a beautiful frizzle bird with lovely feathers that bend backwards. A double-copy frizzle has two of those genes. The feathers are weak. The vane--the part of the feather that comes off the shaft--is narrow, weak, break easily and are without normal down. They feathers are damaged before they are finished growing, so a few days after just picking up your bird, the blood feathers can die and fall out. Blood feathers are immature underdeveloped feathers that look like quills but are full of blood and nerves. This creates a huge nutritional load on the bird that is constantly replacing feathers that should be lasting a year. I believe their easily damaged feathers cause them a lot of pain when they are handled. The vane of the feathers break easily, leaving just a curly quill that is like a wire. Frazzles (double copies of the frizzling gene) usually live very short lives. They have issues with organ failure, exhausted thyroids that I believe is because they have to maintain a very high metabolic rate to just to stay warm.

My pullet is so fragile, she lives in my kitchen at the moment. On warm days, sunny days I put her out in a pen with lots of dry dirt so she can enjoy being a chicken without the risk of being hurt by one of my other chickens. The cockerel is also fragile and I only let him out when the weather is over 50 degrees. He is brought in to house at night. I have found all the frazzles I've had have had a red skin issue that is slowly improving. Changing their bedding from pine shavings to hay made the most impact on the birds' skin. I've read they have skin problems, but have not found any literature to support that, just someone saying it to be fact.

Here are a couple of pictures of my frazzle Kitchen Chicken:

Thank you for posting this!!!!

Back
Top Bottom