Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
Make sure that you can keep parrots and chickens together. Some birds carry disease that don't bother them but can be passed on to different kinds of other birds. I can't remember if that holds true for chickens/parrots or not but worth a check.

I had several bantam chicks of different breeds, Sebrights, Faverolles, Cochins...that were about 6-8 weeks old and they would sleep under
my Silkie roo's wings at night and in his fluff!

There are diseases that each can get from the other, but I'm not too worried. Parrot people are crazy with their hyper hygiene. They won't let a parrot even touch a stick for fear it will pick up a disease. A dear friend of mine, an avian vet, thought it would be okay. To be honest, I'm more worried about the wild birds giving the parrots disease than the chickens. My parrots are kept in big flights with open roofs so are exposed to the wild birds. They live outdoors 24/7 most months of the year. Also, the chickens can clean up the very expensive organic parrot food that I buy for them. I just hate to see heaps of tossed pellets wasted. I know zoos often use pheasants in the bottom of cages to clean up the wasted food.

I had 5 hens who co-parented 13 chicks. They just took turns sitting and they all stayed together with the chicks in the yard. It was cute to watch.

Don't use Penedesenca this way. Someone told me that he had several young hens laying in a communal nest and they kept stealing each other's eggs; long story short, they only hatched one chick and he ended up with too many mommies. But they did take good care of him, so maybe singly, Penes would do alright, but not as a family unit you're talking about.

Don't use Penedesenca this way.  Someone told me that he had several young hens laying in a communal nest and they kept stealing each other's eggs; long story short, they only hatched one chick and he ended up with too many mommies.  But they did take good care of him, so maybe singly, Penes would do alright, but not as a family unit you're talking about.

I don't have any of those. My broodies were a silkie, bantam Cochin, faverolles, and australourpe. They did pretty good together. I just let them do their thing.

Is this for chatting about them also? If so I looked something up from wikapedia.com and this is what I found:
I hope it is true.
My little Kitchen Chicken is an incredibly productive egg layer--she lays eggs most days--last set was 9 eggs, one a day, until she took a day off. Her next set is five eggs in five days and with more to come.

Another question, are they good pets? And are Cochin bantams and Pekin bantams the same thing?

I think Cochins bantams are as sweet a chicken as any can be. They are quite mellow and docile. I don't think too many chickens like to be handled much. You have to be careful you don't hurt them when you handle their feathers. Growing feathers have nerves and blood in them. I do think my normal feathered Cochins like me to go through their feathers almost the way my parrots like me to gently lift their feathers. My double-copy frizzle feathered birds don't like to be handled at all, and I think it is because their feathers cause them pain if they are handled.

Pekings are probably the same thing as Cochins--I think Pekings are what they are called in Europe and maybe Australia. They are a very, very old breed.

I'm pretty new to the breed but that is my understanding of them.

I think Cochins bantams are as sweet a chicken as any can be. They are quite mellow and docile. I don't think too many chickens like to be handled much. You have to be careful you don't hurt them when you handle their feathers. Growing feathers have nerves and blood in them. I do think my normal feathered Cochins like me to go through their feathers almost the way my parrots like me to gently lift their feathers. My double-copy frizzle feathered birds don't like to be handled at all, and I think it is because their feathers cause them pain if they are handled.

Pekings are probably the same thing as Cochins--I think Pekings are what they are called in Europe and maybe Australia. They are a very, very old breed.

I'm pretty new to the breed but that is my understanding of them.

So, is it only when they are growing? That is odd, when I had chicks they didn't mind being held.

So, is it only when they are growing? That is odd, when I had chicks they didn't mind being held.
Mine love to be handled at all ages. Chicks will hop on top of waterers etc doing the me first me first when the lid is lifted on the brooder. My cock bird will run up if i sit in a chair and hop on my lap to be"petted" and wants to be the helper and see what i am doing all the time. I think a lot depends on if people raised or broody raised, ie who they believe is Mama. I would agree with jajeanpierre that double copy or frazzle birds would not like to be held because they have feather pain issues.

There are some slight differences in Pekins and Cochins that serious breeders would be able to detail out (that would not be me), however they are from similar background but called Pekin in Europe and Australia, but to all of us regular joe chicken lovers they are pretty much the same.

Back
Top Bottom