Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I want to pull my hair out!!!

I can't tell my Nancy chicks from my Roslyn chicks. Well at least the 5 from Nancy vrs the 14 from Roslyn.

I can def tell with most but yet not 100% with the 5.

Lol

Don't worry, once they are older, you will be able to tell. Quality comes through as they mature. And again I will say that there are breeders and then there are people that breed. You will be able to tell the difference.
wink.png

Oh I know but its not funny anymore trying to fig them out. 1 minute I think I know and then the next minute I'm not sure. I keep lookin at type and color and and and and.... OK so it is funny.

What's not helping is 10 out of the 19 are roos! Boy oh boy I hope I get some girls from you Amy! Lol

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw a new to me color coded banding method for young chicks. They took the colorful velcro cable ties and cut them down to use as an easily adjusted banding method. I had some at home already and tried it with my newest chicks. It works great. Cut the strip lengthwise in three strips then cut in thirds. Each strip of velco provides 9 bands. I have 4 chicks that are very similar in color right now so I am using that to tell them apart.

Anyone have time to answer a complete newbie question about color varieties and showing? Are mixed colors only good for pets or can they go to show or be breed for SQ? I tried to find the answer online but am not having much luck; the closest I found was that "unrecognized varieties can not progress past the breed level" (hope that makes sense). I have 2 pure Bantam Cochins but of mixed color varieties (one I think was a Silver penciled roo over a Partrige hen; the other I cant guess, either Silver penciled or Birchen roo over an unknown hen -base color is white with black penciling) I love these little guys; they are so friendly and sweet that I want to get them some girls; just not sure if I should breed for pets only or go for SQ. Thank you.

Just thought I would let you know for future convenience- the edit button should be a pencil icon in the middle at the bottom of your post.

I know but the resolution on my smartphone and touchscreen meant everytime I tried to click the text it scrolled to the top of the screen and I gave up in the end!

Anyone have time to answer a complete newbie question about color varieties and showing? Are mixed colors only good for pets or can they go to show or be breed for SQ? I tried to find the answer online but am not having much luck; the closest I found was that "unrecognized varieties can not progress past the breed level" (hope that makes sense).  I have 2 pure Bantam Cochins but of mixed color varieties (one I think was a Silver penciled roo over a Partrige hen; the other I cant guess, either Silver penciled or Birchen roo over an unknown hen -base color is white with black penciling) I love these little guys; they are so friendly and sweet that I want to get them some girls; just not sure if I should breed for pets only or go for SQ. Thank you.

It can be an unrecognized color, but can win no higher than best of breed. Now you can't show mixed colors. Like mixing birchen and splash doesn't give you a pure color- therefore there is no criteria to judge it on

It can be an unrecognized color, but can win no higher than best of breed. Now you can't show mixed colors. Like mixing birchen and splash doesn't give you a pure color- therefore there is no criteria to judge it on
I think you mean an unrecognized color can't go beyond Best of Variety ( the unrecognized color). All Best of Varieties compete (except for the unrecognized varieties) for Best of Breed. That's my understanding of it.

For example, Splash can be shown in their variety, Splash. All the Splash compete for Best of Variety. I have several colors that are not recognized but are shown: Splash bantam Cochins, Splash and Lavender LF Ameraucana.

Question for you serious exhibitors: The ABA Centennial Show is something important to Splash Cochins. Can someone explain it to me. Can Splash compete for Best of Breed at that show or will they only be able to compete to Best of Variety. Is this show a formality for the acceptance of t he splash variety or does there still have to be approval by ABA?

I'm intending to go to that show with a splash.

Back
Top Bottom