Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

my frizzled cochin rooster

You nee to put into
your browser this url
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1134790523231846/
it has all kinds of poultry for sale.
Southern Chicken Folks.. NE Alabama,NW GA and SE TN
then you will get plenty of answers as you can join and be accepted.
I do not think you will get very many replies here.

AO DO HIS
put into your browser these words
SOUTHERN POULTRY CLUBS ON FACEBOOK.
it brings up a least 8 or ten

also THERE ARE TEXAS FACBOOK POULTRY SITES.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/205169213186145/?hc_ref=SEARCH

Georgetown Texas Backyard Chickens

Last edited:
Picked these two up today. Was told they were 5 weeks, what's your thoughts? Pullets?! Also, our wether is high 70-80s low 50s. Do you think in a couple weeks I can move them outside?

Last edited:
They look pretty much fully feathered. They probably can go outside right now, as long as its not too drafty wherever you are putting them. And if you aren't comfortable putting them outside now, they certainly don't need additional heat if they are indoors. It should only take you a week to acclimate them to those outdoor temperatures.

The probably are about 5 weeks. Hard to say for sure since rate of growth and rate of feathering can vary a lot depending on what they are fed and the conditions they are raised in.

Pullets? Also, any idea what colors they will end up being?
They look pretty much fully feathered. They probably can go outside right now, as long as its not too drafty wherever you are putting them.  And if you aren't comfortable putting them outside now, they certainly don't need additional heat if they are indoors. It should only take you a week to acclimate them to those outdoor temperatures.

The probably are about 5 weeks.  Hard to say for sure since rate of growth and rate of feathering can vary a lot depending on what they are fed and the conditions they are raised in.

Just wanted to show off my 1st bantam frizzle cochin! Her/his name is Pom Pom.

the day after I got Pom Pom.

Pom Pom with standard cochin (non-frizzle) friend, Dahlia for fun size comparison (she is also ~2+ weeks older)!

Pom Pom on Saturday playing outside for the first time with d'Uccles, Goldie & CC. I must say I love my d'Uccles also, they are SO sweet-- CC stands for cuddle chick[en]!

After looking at everyone else's adorable frizzles I had to join in on the fun!
D.gif
love.gif

Pullets? Also, any idea what colors they will end up being?
Sorry I am not familiar enough with cochin colors to be much good at identifying them at this age. My guess would be a mottled black and a splash, but I am very uncertain on the splash. The feathers really look more like they are laced than a splash, so I don't know. I also can't guess gender at this age.

Is it possible for a chick from a blue cochin pen (blue rooster and blue hens) to have red in its wing feathers? One of my week old blue cochin chicks has wing feathers that are half blue and half reddish-gold. I know that the hens were not bred by any other rooster, so it had to come from one of them.

Is it possible for a chick from a blue cochin pen (blue rooster and blue hens) to have red in its wing feathers? One of my week old blue cochin chicks has wing feathers that are half blue and half reddish-gold. I know that the hens were not bred by any other rooster, so it had to come from one of them.

Here is what I have learned about breeding blue colored chickens.
The red leakage is the result of the chickens linage with an insufficient amount of melanizers.

(1) The red leakage will show up on offspring. Any birds with the red leakage would not be a candidate for breeding
If you bred them I would try to figure out who made them and avoid this happening gain.
Leakage can cause you much problems in later breeding.

(2) I would cull any birds with the red leakage now.
when you have red it is gold in the color world. That means the bird does not carry enough melanizers to cover the underlying gold that the bird is also carrying.
For the first couple of years it may crop up, Always cull all of the birds that come up with any red or gold leakage.
You will certainly then have it disappear from your flock.

If you have a small flock, you could do some test breedings to see if one hen is throwing it more than the others and remove her from your breeding program.

Picked these two up today. Was told they were 5 weeks, what's your thoughts? Pullets?! Also, our wether is high 70-80s low 50s. Do you think in a couple weeks I can move them outside?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/271505059658922/
this is from EXHIBITION FRIZZLE BREEDERS
My comment is this The third picture the chick has the markings of what is called BOBTAIL coloring from the UK
so f you got to the URL and scroll way down it shows tis colored cochin.
the other is probably a black, or blue splash.
or will be completely black?
Also the whitish chick is a pullet
But the black chick is probably a rooster?

Last edited:
Here is what I have learned about breeding blue colored chickens.
The red leakage is the result of the chickens linage with an insufficient amount of melanizers.

(1) The red leakage will show up on offspring. Any birds with the red leakage  would not be a candidate for breeding
If you bred them I would try to figure out who made them and avoid this happening gain.
Leakage can cause you much problems in later breeding.

(2) I would cull any birds with the red leakage now.
 when you have red it is gold in the color world.  That means the bird does not carry enough melanizers to cover the underlying gold that the bird is also carrying. 
For the first couple of years it may crop up, Always cull all of the birds that come up with any red or gold leakage. 
You will certainly then have it disappear from your flock.

If you have a small flock, you could do some test breedings to see if one hen is throwing it more than the others and remove her from your breeding program.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately I think it's my rooster. His hackle and saddle are turning red in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom