Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lilcrow, Aug 15, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Hey guys I was wondering if one of you experts might want to start something up for me?

My idea is for a thread that is geared toward educating newbies about breeding cochins and the genetic side of things. But this wouldn't just be a blah blah blah thread that you have to read through the entire 800 pages to learn anything. My idea is for the thread to be in quiz form.

The expert running the thread would ask the newbies a question like: Which two colors would be bred together to get mille fleur? And then it's up to the newbies to figure out the answer. One of the rules being that you cannot use other internet sites to find the answers. If the person doesn't know and needs to research the question they are only allowed to use BYC.

The expert can ask anything they want about anything in relation to cochin breeding, genetics, body type, etc. Even things like showing pictures of two cochins and asking the newbies to evalute them or choose which cochin has better type/color/etc, or what is the genetic code for partridge, etc.

The other idea is to maybe give points to the first newbie to answer the question correctly, the points being determined by the questions difficulty, and then when someone gets to a set number of points they get a prize determined by the expert. Maybe 6 hatching eggs or a discount on (?). This part would be totally up to the expert though as I can't tell someone to give away their "product" for free but it's just an idea.

The idea for this thread came from me wanting to learn about the genetics and breeding of cochins but all the information I see is so jumbled up and mixed with general chatter that it's really hard for me to follow. But...if I were asked a specific question about a specific thing, I'll remember it better and I'd understand it better than trying to understand a bunch of people chatting about several different things at once and trying to sort it all out. I need to go way back to the basics.

Would anyone be interested in doing something like this for us beginners? Msbear? Coopa Cabana? Sjarvis00?

I would do it but I am wayyyy underqualified!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    What are the three genes you must have for Single Lacing?

3. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:If you are reffering to your columbian we have a similar issue in both the Col. wyandotte, and Col. OE. The young birds eye color is almost always green, and changes as they reach maturity. I have discussed this with other folks raising these birds and they have similar experiences. For us the Pullets are biggest offenders and they color will change as they start to hit 20-24 weeks and by 30 weeks they have good eye color.

I am not having trouble with my Columbians (yet) and have only noticed it on my Black Cochins. I have observed on my Blacks that they have correct eye color at 10 months to 3 years old. Have noticed eye color slowly weakens after 3 years on most of my Blacks.

4. Black Cochin Bantams

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:Why not just ask your specific question on this thread? Our knowledgeable contributors have done a great job of answering questions on this thread.

5. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I don't even know which questions to ask. Genetics is so vast that I couldn't possibly think of all the questions there are.

I find it easier to learn when someone asks me the questions and I have to try and research it. The questions would start out basic and then as we got the concept they could be made more difficult. It'd be like a trivia game of sorts.

ETA: This would be a seperate thread from this one as to not "take over" what this thread is meant for. It would be more for questions and answers and particularly NO random chatter and pictures unless it was to get greater understanding of the current question

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  6. kmitche3

kmitche3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Greenville
    I feel stupid for asking this, I remembered someone asked this question but now I can’t find it….At what age do most people start showing their LF Cochins? I just bought a trio of 5month on LF Blue Cochins and was just trying to get my ducks in a row.

I’m new to Cochins and so far I have been very pleased. They are super friendly and I can’t wait to start learning all things Blue Cochin [​IMG]
    One last question for you guys…Is there a book that is devoted to learning about Cochins? I just feel bad for asking questions.

7. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:idk about LF but bantams don't get really nice until about a year old so I'm sure it takes them a while to fill out

8. Black Cochin Bantams

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:I would check out the Cochin large fowl thread. Might be someone there that can answer your question.

9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have a question: When you breed a Blue frizzle hen with a black smooth rooster, what would you get? I'm no genetics expert, but I do want to breed my LFCs and get some nice colors out of them.

10. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:You'll get solid Black and solid Blue chicks. I'm not a frizzle buff, but I think what I've heard is that you get 50/50 on the frizzle/smooth breeding. The nice thing about breeding Blue to Black is that if your Blues have a tendency to show tawniness in their color the Black will help to correct that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by