Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lilcrow, Aug 15, 2011.

1. franh

franh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Quote:She looks like a Diluted Buff Columbian to me. The lav gene in the Self-Blues dilutes, so maybe Self-Blue x Buff Columbian?

Hi Coopa Cabana

probably going to sound like a dull question but do you think that if I mated them with something like a Buff Columbian I would get the same patterning? Or if I went back to the breeder and found a similar marked boy would they breed true? The first reason I ask is because I have two pullets from same hatch with very similar marking and second I think they are very pretty and look a bit unusual [​IMG]

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:She looks like a Diluted Buff Columbian to me. The lav gene in the Self-Blues dilutes, so maybe Self-Blue x Buff Columbian?

Hi Coopa Cabana

probably going to sound like a dull question but do you think that if I mated them with something like a Buff Columbian I would get the same patterning? Or if I went back to the breeder and found a similar marked boy would they breed true? The first reason I ask is because I have two pullets from same hatch with very similar marking and second I think they are very pretty and look a bit unusual [​IMG]

I wish we knew what all those other mixed colors in the pen were besides the Self-Blue. The more I re-read what I said, the more I think something else is going on. Lav by itself is recessive, and I believe you need two copies before it actually will express the dilution. Unless the Self Blue was crossed with a Buff Columbian split to lav.

Any ideas as to what/who was in with the Self Blue? She sure looks like she's carrying Columbian somewhere in her background.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

possibly a buff/lavender cross. my kaleidoscopes have the same patterns but darker colors

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Hi Coopa Cabana

I wish we knew what all those other mixed colors in the pen were besides the Self-Blue. The more I re-read what I said, the more I think something else is going on. Lav by itself is recessive, and I believe you need two copies before it actually will express the dilution. Unless the Self Blue was crossed with a Buff Columbian split to lav.

Any ideas as to what/who was in with the Self Blue? She sure looks like she's carrying Columbian somewhere in her background.

I have seen Lav. make appearances when crossed with other recessive colors. It is never a solid lav but some feathers can be affected. It is interesting that not everything can be so cut and dry and predicted. I woul dhave to say the questions and possibilities are endless on this bird.

5. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:I wish we knew what all those other mixed colors in the pen were besides the Self-Blue. The more I re-read what I said, the more I think something else is going on. Lav by itself is recessive, and I believe you need two copies before it actually will express the dilution. Unless the Self Blue was crossed with a Buff Columbian split to lav.

I have seen Lav. make appearances when crossed with other recessive colors. It is never a solid lav but some feathers can be affected. It is interesting that not everything can be so cut and dry and predicted. I woul dhave to say the questions and possibilities are endless on this bird.

To answer the OP's original question, your chances of duplicating the color and pattern, even if you found a similar marked cock, are slim to nil. Duplication of a color and pattern can take several generations - and LOTS of record keeping. Looks (phenotype) can be very deceiving - you need to know the actual genetic makeup of the bird (genotype).

Just because two birds look alike does not mean they will breed true - check out what's going on with the Mille Fleur Cochins!

She is still very beautiful! Sometimes we just get lucky!!

6. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She's adorable! The cochins sure do produce flashy color assortments when colors are mixed. They make nice yard ornaments. I smile everyday when I watch them out in the yard. [​IMG]

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

I believe she carries Dominat Dilute not Lavender,

8. franh

franh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Hello everyone

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I see what you mean about breeding true and thought that might be the case [​IMG]

I've found the advert from where I got my eggs :

I have 7 cockerels running with 21 hens. The cockerel colours are; Cuckoo, Lemon Cuckoo, Blue, Millefleur, Gold Birchen, Blue Millefleur and Red-necked Blue.
    The hen colours are; Black x 2, Blue, Black mottled, Lemon Cuckoo x 2, Ginger x 2, Cream Partridge, Gold Partidge, Blue Partridge, Buff laced, Gold Birchen, Lavender x 2, Buff Faun x 2, Millefleur x 3 and Chocolate Millefleur.

So as you can see there are lots of colours that these two may have come from!!! Not sure if that helps at all with guessing the cross

9. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I know that cochins are supposed to have a reddish eye color. Is there a reason I got some gray/green eyed birds of good type out of good birds with correct eye color. The weirdest thing is that some with one correct and one poor eye color. I culled them. I also got some very good birds with correct eye color. This was on my Blacks from last years hatch.
    Craig

10. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:If you are reffering to your columbian we have a similar issue in both the Col. wyandotte, and Col. OE. The young birds eye color is almost always green, and changes as they reach maturity. I have discussed this with other folks raising these birds and they have similar experiences. For us the Pullets are biggest offenders and they color will change as they start to hit 20-24 weeks and by 30 weeks they have good eye color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by