Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
No feathers on all toes is not a defect. Without seeing the pullet I can only say that yes, she could improve in time. If I could see her I could give you a better idea of what to watch for.

Ok so here is my girl she is a bantam Mille fleur Cochin, about 6 months old. She had coccidiosis pretty bad when we got her, so I'm thinking she will improve now that she's healthy.

Shes' really quite nice for a Mille Fleur and I'm actually addressing her pattern more than the feathering. Mille Fleur is such a complex pattern and there are very few really good ones out there. She appears to be well on the way to a true Mille Fleur.

Thanks
Shes' really quite nice for a Mille Fleur and I'm actually addressing her pattern more than the feathering. Mille Fleur is such a complex pattern and there are very few really good ones out there. She appears to be well on the way to a true Mille Fleur.

Thanks that's great! Now here is the real question LOL. Is she worth my time breeding her from what you can tell?

Ok
If you're actually interested in breeding Mille Fleur, I'd say yes, but it will be very easy to mess this up. She has some very nice qualities for this non-accepted variety.
Even though I would love to try and better this variety, I don't know that I have the knowledge or a good roo to do this with. I would "rent" her to someone nearby to use in their program for a while. I just cannot part with her. She's such a sweet intelligent girl. Does ki4got have Mille fleurs? I know she has banny Cochins in my area... If I did my research I could get a roo from her maybe.

Ok
Even though I would love to try and better this variety, I don't know that I have the knowledge or a good roo to do this with. I would "rent" her to someone nearby to use in their program for a while. I just cannot part with her. She's such a sweet intelligent girl. Does ki4got have Mille fleurs? I know she has banny Cochins in my area... If I did my research I could get a roo from her maybe.
I'm not sure if Karen has any MF, but she certainly knows enough to give you direction on the subject.

Ok that's good. She lives practically in the same town as us lol. But anyways thanks for all of your help and if I get some direction on this I will keep everyone updated. :)

Ok - I've seen the reference to VH a few times now and I was wondering if someone can by chance show photo's showing the difference to the term. We have a lot of Cochins that we had ordered for breeding. If VH is not a trait that is desirable in Cochins, then we dont want this trait in our birds... or if I can post photos on if our current birds have that trait

I'd rather get it weeded out now rather than keep going with it for improving our current stock - I know these aren't great photos but these are a couple of our birds -- white ones there's (2) actual white & (2) White Splash, Blue Rooster & Partridge. We also have Buff hens & Blue hens that are not in this bunch yet. That "I" believe we have a pretty decent bunch to improve with - These girls just started laying, so they are still young

This is Blue one of the blue roosters we have.

Thank you

Ok - I've seen the reference to VH a few times now and I was wondering if someone can by chance show photo's showing the difference to the term. We have a lot of Cochins that we had ordered for breeding. If VH is not a trait that is desirable in Cochins, then we dont want this trait in our birds... or if I can post photos on if our current birds have that trait

I'd rather get it weeded out now rather than keep going with it for improving our current stock - I know these aren't great photos but these are a couple of our birds -- white ones there's (2) actual white & (2) White Splash, Blue Rooster & Partridge. We also have Buff hens & Blue hens that are not in this bunch yet. That "I" believe we have a pretty decent bunch to improve with - These girls just started laying, so they are still young

This is Blue one of the blue roosters we have.

Thank you
Don't really see VH in the first pic, but it would be a little hard to tell for sure. The Blue rooster is hard to tell about, but the main problem that I see with all of them is a general lack of type. I'm sorry to have to say that I wouldn't breed any of them. Not sure if you're looking for comparisons but I'll give you something to just keep in mind when shopping. This really isn't even a good picture of this guy, to be correct he shouldn't be standing in such an alert posture. He should have his head down, about level with his cushion.

Does anyone know of someone who has show quality blue or blue splash cochin bantams in Arizona? An alternative would be shipped hatching eggs from somewhere within 1000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom