Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
Before I started my lemon blue Cochin project, I had a discussion with several former breeders regarding the lemon color. Every photo I've seen the required (per the standard) is much more orange than lemon.
Dave
which is weird, as lemon or the lemon color is not orangy at all, when you see a lemon you think of a bright yellow colored bird. now some of the S/s+ males can have a light lemon color but their color is too light to pass for a true breeding lemon blue

Nic-

Your thought regarding the lightness of the S/s+ makes is correct in that they are more of a light buttery color rather than rich lemon. Nor are they a crisp white (silver blue) as expected of S/S.

The difference between the standard description (lemon) and the actual birds photographed (orange) is what prompted my previous discussion. The idea of red enhancers was brought up as the likely cause in that discussion as well.

Dave

Lynn -

Your LF photos are much more representative of what I think the standard calls for in terms of the lemon color as compared to most other examples of bantams I've seen.

Dave

Lynn -

Your LF photos are much more representative of what I think the standard calls for in terms of the lemon color as compared to most other examples of bantams I've seen.

Dave
Dave,

Obviously my version of "Lemon Blue" is "not" the accepted version. IMO the term "Lemon" should be just that...not Orange. I have been working on this color for about 5 years. It still doesn't breed true but my numbers are getting better every year. I now have 2 roos & 8 hens who are representative of this "Lemon" color. Of the 25 chicks I have hatched already this Spring, I can see several cockerels & a couple pullets who look like they will have great potential. I don't show, these are just for my enjoyment.

I'm going to guess that you used buff x blue in your line which does tone down the orange issue, but as you noted creates a more look a like rather than genetic lemon blue. The hardest part with brown reds is cleaning up the red enhancer issue discussed.

As for showing, I ve yet to see a lemon blue Cochin in competition! I suspect it'll be a few years yet before mine are showable once I get appropriate genes together.

Dave

I'm going to guess that you used buff x blue in your line which does tone down the orange issue, but as you noted creates a more look a like rather than genetic lemon blue. The hardest part with brown reds is cleaning up the red enhancer issue discussed.

As for showing, I ve yet to see a lemon blue Cochin in competition! I suspect it'll be a few years yet before mine are showable once I get appropriate genes together.

Dave
Dave,

Believe it or not, I had NO Buff Cochins until a hatch last year. It produced one Cockerel & one pullet from the LB breeding. Since I know "nothing" about genetics, I will leave this for you to ponder. ....
idunno.gif

I LOVE my Splash bantams. They are the only chickens I raise. I have (in my main pen) 4 Splash hens and a Blue Roo (Cochin Coop lines), and in pen #2 I have an awesome Splash Roo (Cochin Coop) over a Blue hen from Jamie Matts. Here are some pics of my birds:

Back
Top Bottom