Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
I found this advice for someone who was trying to improve type on laced birds(will add link when i find it), and thought i could apply it to my project of trying to improve partridge
here in South Africa.

"I am suggesting this only because I have tried it with partridge. I know it works to improve type with them and I believe it would work with any pencilled or laced variety.
Take your best golden laced female and cross on a mottled male. The resulting cross will be black with a golden/creamy hackle. Take the best male or two that comes from this
cross and hopefully he might have some lacing on the breast and discard all females. Breed the male with your very best golden females again. Around half of the offspring will be
golden laced. Some will be the golden-black birds. You may have some silver laced, as I had some silver pencilled. Breeding the best goldens to each other then will give you 100% goldens.
You will now have wider feather, which will help with the quality of the lacing. Lacing quality will not be affected by the outcross to the mottled like it would if you crossed out to a
black or white. You will still need to select for best ground color etc., but type will be improved substantially. Hope this idea serves some good for those interested in working on
pencilled or laced varieties."

"You may have some silver laced, as I had some silver pencilled"
my only problem with this is, that this assumes that male mottled black birds are S/S Silver, where i know that black mottled can be created by crossing partridge male(Mo/mo s+/s+) to black hen (Mo/mo s+), giving you a s+/s+ mo/mo mottled male.

Because i want to try and improve both partridge and create silver pencilled this would never give me silver pencilled from crossing to my mottled black cockerel. I cant buy silver pencilled here either in any quality. So is the only other option to use Columbian? Cross columbian with partridge, take a f1 het male (S/s+) and cross back to partridge to get silver pencilled? Not even sure this option would work, as the Columbian here are very poorly typed.

Andy GREAT information. Thank you so much.

Andy GREAT information. Thank you so much.

I edited the original post to include a link to the thread (not sure if that is allowed here as it was on another forum), and the context of the thread. The conversation between Matt(cant find a last name), Tom Roebuck, dak and Coopa cabana is incredibly useful and rich with info for newbies like me
smile.png

I edited the original post to include a link to the thread (not sure if that is allowed here as it was on another forum), and the context of the thread. The conversation between Matt(cant find a last name), Tom Roebuck, dak and Coopa cabana is incredibly useful and rich with info for newbies like me
smile.png
Andy, I would bet that the "Matt" person is Matt McCammon and yes I would think that would be a VERY rich conversation if it involved those specific folks. Matt is a Cochins International board member and lives in the middle of the US in Indiana I believe. As I'm sure you concluded, he is totally committed to breeding the best Cochins possible and very helpful whenever asked.

Andy, I would bet that the "Matt" person is Matt McCammon and yes I would think that would be a VERY rich conversation if it involved those specific folks. Matt is a Cochins International board member and lives in the middle of the US in Indiana I believe. As I'm sure you concluded, he is totally committed to breeding the best Cochins possible and very helpful whenever asked.
Oh and I'm pretty sure you can post links, it's worth a try anyway :) and one more thing Andy, I'm sure the Cochins International would love to have you as a member and it gives you access to the Facebook forum for the club......VERY interesting and informative for breeders/exhibitors.

That makes sense, Craig (Black Cochin Bantams) was telling me about Matt's advice a while back, it has only just clicked for me now, this still assumes that mottled roosters are S/S Silver, which mine cannot be, but at least Craig's advice makes sense to me now. So glad i kept all of the advice offered, i knew it would start to make sense someday!

Quote:

I will look into Cochins International, i have seen a lot of their members on showbirds forums and others, some incredible knowledge there and here on byc
smile.png

Last edited:
That makes sense, Craig (Black Cochin Bantams) was telling me about Matt's advice a while back, it has only just clicked for me now, this still assumes that mottled roosters are S/S Silver, which mine cannot be, but at least Craig's advice makes sense to me now. So glad i kept all of the advice offered, i knew it would start to make sense someday!

I will look into Cochins International, i have seen a lot of their members on showbirds forums and others, some incredible knowledge there and here on byc
smile.png
Hope to see you in the forums, I think you'd be a great asset to the club as well as what you would get from it.

Back
Top Bottom