Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
She is adorable. As for colours not recognized, can you enter any colour mottled bird in the mottled category? i have a mottled partridge but have never seen any entered into any cochin category.
don't know about your breed associations in S Africa, but here, mottled is black and white. tho some are working on a mottled blue. I got one accidentally but love him. tho he's sun bleached to more of a brown color right now. LOL

Not sure why I was only subscribing to the other cochin thread, but will be following this one as well from now on. I just hatched my first batch of chicks from two of the quality mottled bantam cochins I purchased last year at the Ohio Nationals. I'm very excited to see how they develop. Already at day one I can see a difference from all other chicks I have hatched in the past. Majorly poofy feathers overall, and fluff to the tips of all their toes. Loving it!

Hi! I <3 cochins :) I have 2 a barred and a black. I'll put some pics of the black cochin : Butter
love.gif
love.gif

Butter as a baby :)

Isn't she beautiful, my first ever cochin <3 :)
In the back, is her buddy: Buddah - a barred rock, he passed away last year bc of a broken leg. The wind blew over a board he was near and broke his leg..

Last edited:
Quote:
plus I have another pair of mottled chicks I got that are developing very nicely, that may join the pen (if I ever get my pens finished enough to set everyone up) when they're old enough. he and the splash hen I got from mr ree... I don't know that she's mottled, but if not, i'll still get some nice bbs from her, depending which roo she breeds with.
Mr. Ree was sure he's not a mottled, but going into his summer moult, he's showing more mottling, so i'm pretty sure he is. 8)
the other roo, and one of the black girls, of all things, came from ideal hatchery. guess I got lucky there. they were freebies I picked up last fall from someone getting out of the breed due to lack of quality in their hatchery birds (duh)... these 2 were the youngest of the bunch and shaped up nicely. if anything the roo's cushion isn't as full as i'd like, but he's just going into his first serious moult too.

Last edited:
I do find it rather odd that the showing mottled is purely for black birds. But i am still very new to all of this. I see after reading the standards that mottled refers only to black here, meaning that my mottled partridge is an oddity for a mottled bird, and a non starter in any class.

i have noticed that my split mottled birds always seem to carry a white spot, on the foot feathering, not sure if that is reliable indicator, just something that made it easier to identify them.

You are lucky to get such decent quality from a hatchery, i culled all my mottled birds, except for my split partridge pair. Thought i would keep those two around in case i start a mille project one day.

I have a batch of silver laced cochin chicks I got and they have feathers coming in on their hocks (not sure what else to call it). Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

B
Homecoming2010055.jpg

I have been to both  Sanctioned shows and fairs and I have not really seen a difference between them at least in my  area. I have actually asked the question on this thread because I don't see a difference.I just wanted some advice on how it make not boring and a little less complicated. Thank you coopa cabanna for the great link.

In another subject I have been thinking about breeding Charles and Camilla my pair of bantam white cochins that recently won first at a show. The problem is that Charles has some faint grey spots on his feathers and the blade of his comb turns to one side ever so slightly.On the other hand he has a great deal of long feathering on his feet and he has a nice overall body shape. Camilla is a very nice hen that has no grey spots and a excellent full cushion tail but her feet are not as profusely feathered. If I breed the two do you think I will get the best of both worlds or something bad?

I will certainly have to post pictures of those two later.
[/quote
Beautiful

Back
Top Bottom