Cochin color breeding questions

Christina.Rich

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
Hi all,

I’m new to breeding bantam Cochins and for some reason the chicken calculator isn’t working for me, maybe it doesn’t work great on a mobile phone?

Either way, I was curious if any of you could help me out with a couple questions I had on genetics. What colors would I get if I mated the following:

Mottled hen x Splash Cockerel
Mottled hen x White Cockerel
Black Hen x White Cockerel
Black Hen x Splash Cockerel
White Hen x Splash Cockerel

Any help our guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mottling is recessive, and splash carries E (the color pattern that expresses black/blue/white/white/splash/lavender) Your offspring should be blue, if the parents are purebreds.

What breed of rooster? (EDT: Duh. Pekin. Okay. Sometimes, I'm an idiot.) Dominant White or Recessive White? Silver?

EDT: Pekins are supposed to be recessive white. Which means, depending what genes are underlying, that the offspring could be a lot of colors. Assuming your hen is pure and has two copies of E (E/E), the offspring should be blue. (assuming one of the genes hidden is black, bl/bl.)

EDT: Recessive white--probably all of the offspring will be black, if they're pure stock.

Blue! (Again, assuming parents are pure and at least one carries two copies of the solid pattern E gene)

White?

EDT: Blue. Again, assuming (E/E)

9795742_orig.jpg

Splash is a mutation of black and is incompletely-dominant over it. Splash dilutes black to make blue.

EDT: The offspring of the white parents should all carry one copy of recessive white. If you bred them together or back to the white parents, they would have some white offspring.

The same of the mottled parents.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’m new to breeding bantam Cochins and for some reason the chicken calculator isn’t working for me, maybe it doesn’t work great on a mobile phone?

Either way, I was curious if any of you could help me out with a couple questions I had on genetics. What colors would I get if I mated the following:

Any help our guidance would be greatly appreciated!
I'm shoving my way in to see answers, interested in their answers to your

Black hen X white rooster and
White hen X black rooster,
since I have those color cochins and am planning to breed them eventually

Blue split for (carries one gene for but is hidden) mottled
Black split for mottled and recessive white
Black split for recessive white
Blue
Blue split for recessive white

That's assuming the white is recessive white. Every white cochin I've had was recessive white.
That's also assuming the white is on a straight black bird. RW can hide about everything so its really up in the air to you breed it enough to see.
Most of the ones I've had were on black with at least one on blue.

Blue split for (carries one gene for but is hidden) mottled
Black split for mottled and recessive white
Black split for recessive white
Blue
Blue split for recessive white

That's assuming the white is recessive white. Every white cochin I've had was recessive white.
That's also assuming the white is on a straight black bird. RW can hide about everything so its really up in the air to you breed it enough to see.
Most of the ones I've had were on black with at least one on blue.

What do you mean by "Black Split" & "Blue Split"?

Also, the white cockerel is I believe recessive white.

Mottling is recessive, and splash carries E (the color pattern that expresses black/blue/white/white/splash/lavender) Your offspring should be blue, if the parents are purebreds.

What breed of rooster? (EDT: Duh. Pekin. Okay. Sometimes, I'm an idiot.) Dominant White or Recessive White? Silver?

EDT: Pekins are supposed to be recessive white. Which means, depending what genes are underlying, that the offspring could be a lot of colors. Assuming your hen is pure and has two copies of E (E/E), the offspring should be blue. (assuming one of the genes hidden is black, bl/bl.)

EDT: Recessive white--probably all of the offspring will be black, if they're pure stock.

Blue! (Again, assuming parents are pure and at least one carries two copies of the solid pattern E gene)

White?

EDT: Blue. Again, assuming (E/E)

9795742_orig.jpg

Splash is a mutation of black and is incompletely-dominant over it. Splash dilutes black to make blue.

EDT: The offspring of the white parents should all carry one copy of recessive white. If you bred them together or back to the white parents, they would have some white offspring.

The same of the mottled parents.

Yes, all of the Bantam Cochins that I am referring to are purebreds. Not sure if this helps/changes your answers.

Thank you for your awesome wisdom and knowledge!

What do you mean by "Black Split" & "Blue Split"?

Also, the white cockerel is I believe recessive white.
With recessive genes it takes two copies to be expressed.
If a bird has just one copy it carries it but doesn't show it.
That is referred to as being split for that recessive gene.
Saying its split for a gene lets you know its carrying one copy of it sight unseen so it can pop up in later breeding with the right match.

Back
Top Bottom