Cochin Frizzle? What Color Silkie? Male/Female?

KellyGwen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Lake Luzerne, NY
I have 3 birds up for consideration here...

First is a little 2-weekish-old cochin chick. The breeder does have frizzles in her group and I noticed these little sticky-uppy feathers coming in on this little one... Whaddaya think? Frizzle?

P1030686.JPG

Next is one of my silkie chicks who is also about 2 weeks old... Is this a splash, a gray or a partridge?

P1030695.JPG

and last! This little cochin is about 4-5 weeks old... Her/his comb has "pinked up" over the last week... Do you think this is a boy?

P1030720.JPG

Thanks!!!!
smile.png
smile.png

Doesn't look like the frizzles I have seen, but not sure. I went to a lady's house who had 1 week old frizzled cochin bantams, and their feathers were completely flipped out.

The first one doesn't look like a frizzle to me, the feathers would be sticking out a lot more dramatically.

The second pic is hard to tell with the black background. What color is that fluff? It looks to maybe be a splash to me, as the partridge I believe the fluff is a lot more dark and more chipmunk striped. A grey well, I do not know.

The last one is definetly a roo.

Oh well! I thought that little cochin was a boy... He's been starting chest-bumping kicking fights with everyone! Hopefully the other 2 cochins I have (who are still tiny) turn out to be girls!!!!

I was hoping that little one was a frizzle... but I didn't really think so... I think the bigger one had those same little feathers sticking up when he was little... *sigh*

Quote:
What's the difference between a frizzled silkie and a sizzle? And how to you tell if the feathers are curly if they are so fluffy? He/she should be a pure-bred silkie... her parents were in a separate pen...

I'm pretty new to all these fancy chickens
smile.png
I'm just used to CHICKENS... just plain 'ol egg layers... But I do love these fuzz balls! You should see that roo cochins legs.. They are SO FLUFFY! I call him "Mr Fancy Pants"
lau.gif

#2 does not look like a frizzled silkie or a sizzle. It looks to be a pure silkie. It's kinda hard to tell the color b/c of the background.

Back
Top Bottom