Cochin question - Roo - Hen ratio

Mahtowagal

Songster
9 Years
Sep 11, 2014
I have 9 gorgeous (!!) 14 week old splash Cochins. 4 roos - 5 hens . I’m rehoming 3 of the roos this week but unsure on whether to keep the fourth and see how it goes. 1 roo- 5 hens. I have had people tell me ( at the hatchery) that they have had that ratio with no problem. My last flock was 1 Cochin roo with 9 hens and I ended up having to use back aprons. He was very kind but clumsy. 🤷‍♀️ With Cochins over all being so gentle and kind ~even the roosters - I just hate to give them all up. They’re such gorgeous birds. I’m trying to decide between giving them all up or a wait and see approach. Any Cochin owners out there that have had Roos not do much mating ? My coop is 8x10 and my predator protected run is 1000 Sq ft so they have more than enough space Thanks in advance!
IMG_0467.jpeg
IMG_0706.jpeg

I have a couple silkie/bantam cochins living among the silkies and I wouldn't know the difference honestly except one is black-skinned with 4 toes and the other has 5 but white skinned. We recently had 2 roosters to 8 hens, and they all got along but the hens were starting to look ragged so now we're down to 1 with 8. I have heard mostly 1 to 8 ratio but that's what's suggested, not what works for us. You have to do what works best for your flock.

1 to 5 could be fine especially if you choose the most docile of the four to keep. I'd make sure he's mature too so you don't have any surprises from one that matures then suddenly pulls a Dr. Jeklyl/Mr. Hyde on you.

I have a couple silkie/bantam cochins living among the silkies and I wouldn't know the difference honestly except one is black-skinned with 4 toes and the other has 5 but white skinned. We recently had 2 roosters to 8 hens, and they all got along but the hens were starting to look ragged so now we're down to 1 with 8. I have heard mostly 1 to 8 ratio but that's what's suggested, not what works for us. You have to do what works best for your flock.

1 to 5 could be fine especially if you choose the most docile of the four to keep. I'd make sure he's mature too so you don't have any surprises from one that matures then suddenly pulls a Dr. Jeklyl/Mr. Hyde on you.
Thanks for your reply! Standard Cochin roosters tend to be more kind and gentle than the Bantams so I may luck out. They’re 14 weeks old and I will be keeping one to see how it goes. 🤞

All you can do, is wait and see. Don't be in a rush to cull, but don't hang on if it is not working. Really that is all anyone can say about any breed of roosters.

All you can do, is wait and see. Don't be in a rush to cull, but don't hang on if it is not working. Really that is all anyone can say about any breed of roosters.
That’s true. Well my 3 spectacular roosters left today to their new home. I kept my favorite boy so we’ll see. My flock looks so blah now after losing the beautiful boys. Their beautiful red bling really added a lot of beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    790.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    826.4 KB · Views: 0
That’s true. Well my 3 spectacular roosters left today to their new home. I kept my favorite boy so we’ll see. My flock looks so blah now after losing the beautiful boys. Their beautiful red bling really added a lot of beauty.
I almost wish I had kept the 4 Roos and rehomed my 5 hens. They were pretty fun. I’ll miss them!

Back
Top Bottom