Cochin question

wendid1

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
North East Missouri
I have a few 3 month old Cochins and 2 about 6 weeks old. They are mostly black with some white. I was wondering if they will turn all black as they age or if this is their permanent color. Here is a picture of one. Thanks in advance. Wendi
Chickenpartyacdc087.jpg

It really depends on the lineage. Some will say it's mottled, but mine are pure blacks or blues and they always look like that (with some white) until their adult molt, then they become pure in color. I'd ask the breeder you got them from.
smile.png
(I try to always let mine know when I send eggs or chicks, but sometimes I forget.
smile.png
)

chicks molt three times
first the ,olt and lose their downy feathers and then two more times for a total of three times molting in the first yr
the 3rd and final molt of their first yr is permanent feathers

then they molt the next yr later for that molt

many times good black feathered cochins will have white in their 2nd molt feathers in the first yr

white cochins that have the silver gene will have greyish down and be the best colored white cochins as they do not get yellow in the feathers from being in the sun and from feeding them corn

those white birds that turn yellow in later life usually have yellow down

one wants the greyish down white chicks so it is the pure white

the darker grey the down is on a white makes for the best colored white to stay white

any questions email me

Quote:
most will say around a year, I had one that went way over that. She had white spots on her chest and a few at her head and a lil on her tail feathers, after her molt she got lil white spots all over

Back
Top Bottom