Cochin Thread!!!

Well Craig, I am in your boat of pain. I left to do errands yesterday and when I returned home one of our dogs had dug out of the backyard and killed eight cockerels being grown out for butcher, one of my favorite splash cochin roos, two of my precious turkeys and a cayuga drake. It was horrifying. I have lost one bird now and then and it has been terrible but to experience that kind of carnage is a whole different kind of pain and such a waste of life. I am going to go cry into my soup now.

Well Craig, I am in your boat of pain. I left to do errands yesterday and when I returned home one of our dogs had dug out of the backyard and killed eight cockerels being grown out for butcher, one of my favorite splash cochin roos, two of my precious turkeys and a cayuga drake. It was horrifying. I have lost one bird now and then and it has been terrible but to experience that kind of carnage is a whole different kind of pain and such a waste of life. I am going to go cry into my soup now.
So, so sorry.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Did you hatch her or buy her as a chick? Where did she come from? If from a breeder, what did they tell you? If they told you she was Columbian, it looks like someone flew over the fence.

Sometimes you just have to grow them out to see what you have.

You have to watch egg auctions - especially on eBay. They say purebred Cochins, and that you may get an assortment of white, black, columbian, blue, etc. But what they don't bother to tell you is that the different varieties are all kept together. So you may hatch purebred Cochins, but not purebred Varieties.

Last edited:
Did you hatch her or buy her as a chick? Where did she come from? If from a breeder, what did they tell you? If they told you she was Columbian, it looks like someone flew over the fence.

Sometimes you just have to grow them out to see what you have.

You have to watch egg auctions - especially on eBay. They say purebred Cochins, and that you may get an assortment of white, black, columbian, blue, etc. But what they don't bother to tell you is that the different varieties are all kept together. So you may hatch purebred Cochins, but not purebred Varieties.

I bought her from a breeder who doesn't specialize in the cochins. She has a mixed color mini-flock of bantam cochins. She primarily breeds and shows silkies and sizzles. What you are saying makes sense though...the purebred cochin, but not the purebred variety part. My daughter fell in love with her while we were there, so she came home with us. Im wondering if she will grow into a more recognizable color.

Quote: I doubt she will mature into a recognizable color, but it really doesn't matter, because she's your daughter's beautiful pet, and she is in love with her.

Any chance the breeder has Paint Silkies? Because that was my thought when I first saw her - she reminded me of Paint Silkies. She's got a straight comb, but she could have Silkie in her past. How many toes on each foot?

I bought her from a breeder who doesn't specialize in the cochins. She has a mixed color mini-flock of bantam cochins. She primarily breeds and shows silkies and sizzles. What you are saying makes sense though...the purebred cochin, but not the purebred variety part. My daughter fell in love with her while we were there, so she came home with us. Im wondering if she will grow into a more recognizable color.
well i have to agree, she's adorable, even if she's not a 'pure' color variety. 8)

i've got a pair of chicks (actually got 1M and 1F, tho they were day old at the time) that i was told were buff cochins. growing out, they have vulture hocks, stiff tails, and beard/muffs. LOL turns out they're gold neck d'uccles. but they sure looked like cochins as day old-ers. still adorable tho. i'm debating keeping them around, but leaning toward selling them, as i'm trying to keep only cochin and dorking (and the EE's for eating eggs of course).

I wish I had words to make you feel better.....
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom