Cochin Thread!!!

Okay I'm going to be picking out two cochin pullets from 5 or six cochin chicks, they are 3-4 months old. What is the best way to tell for this age range other than color?

As others have posted recently I look at small comb that is not bright red and lack of wattles for pullets. Bright red comb with wattles are your young cockerels.Then by body shape because at that age they will be smaller versions of what they will look as a mature bird. Patterns will change some as they get their adult molt but you will have a good idea of the final result at 4 months.
Craig

Originally Posted by JosieChick

Well Craig, I am in your boat of pain. I left to do errands yesterday and when I returned home one of our dogs had dug out of the backyard and killed eight cockerels being grown out for butcher, one of my favorite splash cochin roos, two of my precious turkeys and a cayuga drake. It was horrifying. I have lost one bird now and then and it has been terrible but to experience that kind of carnage is a whole different kind of pain and such a waste of life. I am going to go cry into my soup now.
So sorry for you loss. I know how you feel. Two months ago I had to take my wife to the emergency room. I was in a hurry and my Royal palms didn't want go in the coop. When we arrived home at 3 am, they we dead. I think it was a bobcat. That was a really bad night.

Charlie
Whether it is a bobcat,cat,coon,dog that hurts your flock I now know that we all feel the pain. It means so much that others feel for you and offer to help as they can. I do feel so good about the Cochin poultry community we are a part of.
Craig

Here's my columbian pullet....she's about 5 months old...came from Dick Horstman eggs...the one and only egg that hatched LOL
sorta resembles a part paint and splash mixed if there is such a thing. Am I way off base here? idk
You are not correct at all. Columbians are a defined pattern and color bird. The bird in the picture is young and at this angle you are seeing the slate on base of each feather. I will post a pullet of similar age from last year where the picture is from a different angle where she looks almost white but if you look closely you see the slate undercolor on her body. Also they have a defined pattern on the wings. This wing pic is from a bird I sold to a woman in California. To see a male look at my avatar. He is not a great example but is decent.
Craig

Last edited:

I have 3 Lemon Blue chicks, maybe too young to tell, usually I can by now but maybe a more expert eye can tell what sex. I think the solid grey is a pullet and the darker one is a pullet, the cream and grey pretty sure a cockerel. Just hoping I dont have 3 boys here!
fl.gif

You are not correct at all. Columbians are a defined pattern and color bird. The bird in the picture is young and at this angle you are seeing the slate on base of each feather. I will post a pullet of similar age from last year where the picture is from a different angle where she looks almost white but if you look closely you see the slate undercolor on her body. Also they have a defined pattern on the wings. This wing pic is from a bird I sold to a woman in California. To see a male look at my avatar. He is not a great example but is decent.
Craig

She is absolutely gorgeous Craig
droolin.gif

Hello everyone my sister and I are looking to become serious breeders of Lemon blue, Brown red and lemon sport cochin bantams! Just wanted to see if there were any breeders of these varieties on here! I'm especially looking for the Brown red varietie though. Any help will be greatly appreciated! We are looking to breed and exhibit these sooner than later! Thank you everyone!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Read signature lines
wink.png
agreed. i read all sig lines, even if i've read it before because some people update theirs, get new breeds, lose others.

if i hadn't done that, i don't think i would have even found this thread. i noticed a sig on another topic, went to that person's profile, saw other posts they'd made, and voila! here i is!

Back
Top Bottom