Cochin Thread!!!

You are not correct at all. Columbians are a defined pattern and color bird. The bird in the picture is young and at this angle you are seeing the slate on base of each feather. I will post a pullet of similar age from last year where the picture is from a different angle where she looks almost white but if you look closely you see the slate undercolor on her body. Also they have a defined pattern on the wings. This wing pic is from a bird I sold to a woman in California. To see a male look at my avatar. He is not a great example but is decent.
Craig

love.gif
I wish I could hatch Columbian girls! I only hatched 3 pullets last year, and all the Columbian chicks I've hatched so far this year are crowing in the brooder!
he.gif
Must be something in the water here. Either that, or I'm just super-talented at hatching boys.
sad.png
My best breeding quad of Columbians finally picked up laying this month, so I have 3 big batches of their eggs due in the next 3 weeks. Praying for some girls!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I know what Brown Reds and Lemon Blues are, but what are Lemon Sports?
Hello everyone my sister and I are looking to become serious breeders of Lemon blue, Brown red and lemon sport cochin bantams! Just wanted to see if there were any breeders of these varieties on here! I'm especially looking for the Brown red varietie though. Any help will be greatly appreciated! We are looking to breed and exhibit these sooner than later! Thank you everyone!
wee.gif

Hi I am pretty new to the whole chicken world, LOVE IT! I was just wondering I bought 6 regular chickens and then someone told me they had two feather footed bantams for sale same age as my others 12 weeks,so I bought them from her, and a lady friend of mine said they are not bantams as to the pictures above they are just like the gold laced cochins...so I guess after all that.... lol is a cochin a bantam? Is it a smaller chicken or are they going to be the same size as my regular chickens and what color of eggs do they lay? Please any info will help me....they are so darn cute :)

Last edited:
Hi I am pretty new to the whole chicken world, LOVE IT! I was just wondering I bought 6 regular chickens and then someone told me they had two feather footed bantams for sale same age as my others 12 weeks,so I bought them from her, and a lady friend of mine said they are not bantams as to the pictures above they are just like the gold laced cochins...so I guess after all that.... lol is a cochin a bantam? Is it a smaller chicken or are they going to be the same size as my regular chickens and what color of eggs do they lay? Please any info will help me....they are so darn cute :)
A Cochin may be a bantam or large fowl.

I will try to repost the idea of it from memory. I expanded on the original message.

I am truly sorry that I will not be able to give eggs to those I had hoped to this year. The ramifications of the carnage here today is that I will hatch all the eggs my hens will lay through August. I never sell eggs but have given eggs to several people I trust in the past and will do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

What follows was not part of the original post but part of the thought process.

I received a letter from a 4H girl yesterday that made me cry with joy. I gave her some eggs and starter birds. Since then her aunt has taken her to 3 shows. She worked so hard for the EIPA club at our Cochin Western National show last year and she did not yet have any Cochins. She made me realize how much it means to some people and how much I hate not being able to help anyone else with eggs this summer.
Craig
Wow you are such an awesome person to have given the 4-H girl some of your eggs and starter birds right after Recently losing some of your birds! Such a Kind heart to help others when your going through a tough time!
I am sure others understand why you are unable to give eggs if they don't they obviously don't read the posts and don't know what your going through!
hugs.gif

Cochins come in Bantam and standard and Lay brown eggs

Regarding Lemon Sport/Splash - I started my Lemon Blue project with what was thought to be a Lemon Splash male. He basically looks like a Splash but upon closer look you can see some gold/red faint leakage especially on the saddle and hackle. For me the "bad news" is that he is S/s+ so threw Silver Blues more often than not. I have more eggs "cooking" so I'm hoping to get enough LBs before they stop laying.

Lemon Splashes ( with s+\s+) are useful in a Lemon Blue program in that with Brown Red mates should produce the greater number of Lemon Blues.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom