Cochin Thread!!!

Ok, experts I need help with gender on one of my cochins. When I posted pictures of them when they were 7 weeks old I got some mixed reviews. I had one person say one of them was a cockeral and another say I had all pullets. I was leaning more towards all pullets because they all had the same amount of comb development and lack of color in the combs. Now I am not sure about one of them. It has a larger comb right now but it is still pale and no wattles are coming in yet. They are 13 weeks old right now. Here are the pictures of them.
This is the best closeup I could get of the comb.

Here it is with my other lighter blue cochin and my polish. It is the one in the back.

BTW these are LF cochins.

Help please! Do I have a cockeral or a pullet? I already have 2 cockerals in this batch of chicks and I am sure we are not keeping 3 cockerals if this one ends up being a roo as well.

Last edited:
I don't have LF, but they both look like pullets to me.
Ok, experts I need help with gender on one of my cochins. When I posted pictures of them when they were 7 weeks old I got some mixed reviews. I had one person say one of them was a cockeral and another say I had all pullets. I was leaning more towards all pullets because they all had the same amount of comb development and lack of color in the combs. Now I am not sure about one of them. It has a larger comb right now but it is still pale and no wattles are coming in yet. They are 13 weeks old right now. Here are the pictures of them.

Here it is with my other lighter blue cochin and my polish. It is the one in the back.

Help please! Do I have a cockeral or a pullet? I already have 2 cockerals in this batch of chicks and I am sure we are not keeping 3 cockerals if this one ends up being a roo as well.

my guess is pullet. at 13 weeks old, if you had a cockerel he'd already have a good comb/wattles and starting to crow.
btw, the one in the back? has no leg feathering so isn't a cochin... at least no feathering i can tell from the pic.

Last edited:
Well, OK, but I hope you're not planning on a permanent defection!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/484763/large-fowl-cochin-thread/520_20#post_9079006
Of course not! I have this thread saved on my favorites list! I check it daily. I enjoy seeing all the pics of cochins and I have learnt some things from this thread too.
Thank you for the link.
thumbsup.gif

my guess is pullet. at 13 weeks old, if you had a cockerel he'd already have a good comb/wattles and starting to crow.
Thank you for your opinion. Honestly none of my cockerals (all are 13 weeks) are crowing yet. My DH said the other week thathe thought one of them was trying to crow but I haven't heard anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom