Cochin Thread!!!

Brought my two frizzle pullets in and gave them a bath last night since temps were near 70 for the past few days. I think they clean up pretty well. I kept these two for breeding/showing this year.

~Casey

Is that the show in Inverness? If so, I will be there. Most likely. My grandparents live in Inverness, its a good excuse to see them, and to get them to watch the kids while I get to look at chickens
wink.png

Your results where from a columbian hen with black cock. I have columbian cock with black hens. My experience with my birchen roo is I get poorly marked birchen cockerels and black hens when he is over a black hen. I figured I would get the same type results (only columbian) with a col. Roo over black hen. I do know that when you use a birchen hen under a black roo (just an example- I want to start a blue barred LF cochin project, and talked to some friends on how to accomplish this. Would use blue cock over barred hens, f1 would have poor barring, but have blues, then breed f1blue cockerels to mother barreds, and f1 blue pullets to father cock to improve typing and keep on... Does that sound about right?) I would get all poorly marked birchens, but to reverse hen and roo, for all intensive purposes, gives you "sex link" birchen cockerels.
This being said, if I where to get a black roo, and put him over the columbian, could I use the poorly marked offspring pullet under my birchen to improve his offsprings body typing, since I don't have birchen hens?

I am slowly, and I mean, slowly, trying to understand this genetic stuff. When it comes to talking about alleles and stuff I get completely lost, so I have to go by basic coloring "rules"
I reread what I posted and can see how I was not clear enough. I did what you suggested in my 1st year. Columbian cock over a VERY good Black pullet. It does not matter how you do it you get poor marked Birchens. I have done it both ways. The Birchen hen I am refering to is a the f1 Col x Bl result. It is a long road no matter how you do it.

Speeking of FL....Anyone in FL have some quality bantam cochins for sale? I am very interested in barred, and solids right now. My parents will be vactioning in FL for 3 weeks in Febraury, and could bring up some chickens back to Michigan with them. in previous years they have gone to the Nothern and middle part of the state, not sure how far South they will be traveling. But for the right birds I'm sure they would be willing to make a drive. Last year my mom brought her newly hatched Serama chicks with her, but I'm sure they would be wanting to pick up the chickens towards the end of February so they dont have to stay 3 weeks in a motorhome with them.

You can PM me if you may have anything, right now I am interested in bq/sq eggs, chicks, pullets/ hens and a very nice rooster or two..

I have done it. Pictures below. In my 3rd year trying to bring Black type back to Columbians. The Black ones in the 1st 2 pics are this years Columbian hen x Black Cock results. The 3rd picture is the 1st one I kept. They will all be poorly marked Birchens. The 1st year I hatched 8 and kept 1. She looks Birchen but does not breed true. I do not have a picture of the Sept hatch of a Columbian male x Birchen hen in 3rd picture. This years f2 result is a typey chick that looks sort of Columbian but overmarked with extreme shafting. When I started this I figured if it works it is a 5 year project. Hope this answered your question. Will you be at the Central Florida Poultry Breeders show next month? Happily talk about the results. I will be there with a few Columbians, Partridge, Blacks,? Buff Columbian,? Silver Penciled to show. The bottom picture is at the Cochin International Western National 2011 where she was BOV from 11 Birchens.

Craig

Thank you for sharing such good info. and I love that little hen.

Brought my two frizzle pullets in and gave them a bath last night since temps were near 70 for the past few days. I think they clean up pretty well. I kept these two for breeding/showing this year.

Like them both but the bottom one just has something very special about her to me. Congratulations on having 2 that good in 1 year.
Craig

Back
Top Bottom